The squirt, and short hair

We had dinner last night with a couple of friends, T and A (I know, I know ;). The waiter, whom I've known for a while, suddenly had wild, red bushy hair; the look was not unflattering, but made him seem like a mountain man. As he brought our dishes, he said, "You're the special nuggets, you're the five treasures, etc.," referring to us by our entree names.

This sparked a memory for him, which he shared. As a child, he was eating out with his family, and they all ordered sodas, which was a rare event, he said. They were all excited. The waiter brought them their drinks and said, "You must be the Coke, you must be the ___." Then he contemplated the youngest, who was small for his age, and said, "You must be the squirt." Everyone laughed and the poor kid was traumatized. The thing was, he actually did order a squirt. I think it was a grape soda of some kind.

I also got thinking about T's hair. She's worn it short for a while, and I thought, "Oh, she's keeping it short." The word "keeping" made me think that maintenance is involved. And that was when I realized I will never have short hair. I hate going to the hairdresser. I have yet to find a nice one and it's the one occasion where you pay to get something taken away. So it's probably been about a year since I've gone.

Comments

Poppy said…
I'm starting to wonder if this is a holiday weekend but we weren't told. It's awfully quiet everywhere...

I get my hair done because I actually like my stylist and because I get coffee and because there's a pet store next door and it gives me an excuse to text a bunch of people to say "I GOT MY HAIR DONE!"

It's the little things...
Roxanne said…
I've gone back and forth with my hair my entire adult life. As soon as I grow my hair out, I get tired of it and go short again. I've had it shoulder length for about a year now and I think I'm going to stay long for awhile for the simple fact that every time I look at pictures of me with short hair, I always think, "Ick!"

And yes, it gets irritating having to continue to pay someone to take your hair away. I would always wait so long in between cuts that I probably looked ridiculous.
Bearette said…
Poppy - It does feel a bit like a ghost town. What gives?

Rox - I do picture you with shoulder-length hair. And I'm glad other ppl avoid the hairdresser...makes me feel more normal ;)
Anonymous said…
I appreciate the maintenane isssue, but ironically, I keep my hair short for that reason. For black women, maintaining long hair is frequently more expensive.
Bearette said…
Yes, a woman i worked with in college told me the same thing! and yours looks cute :)
Anonymous said…
Thanks bearette! It's nice when upkeeping avoidance manages to converge with the cuteness factor. Your hair is savvy on this point too! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!