So I got the ring resized today. I went up to the diamond district and went into one of the old-fashioned jewelry stores, where customer service has meaning. It was pretty cool. The guy who waited on me sat in a little cubicle. He had cheesy 80s swimsuit shots up, but with LOTS of jewelry on them. In addition to big hair, the girls had about 80 gold necklaces between them, not to mention huge, dangly earrings. It cracked me up.

He tossed me one of those huge collections of metal rings that you use to find your size. Amazingly, it goes all the way down to 1...for children? I was a 5 (noting it here so I'll remember). Then he slipped the ring on a long phallic thing to verify that it was a 6. (The ring was a size too big, hence the resizing.) The phallic thing was scored with lines so you could measure. It actually looked more like 5 3/4.

Then he took a tool with a thin blue flame coming out of one end and just burned through the ring. He did something else I couldn't see, then used a small whirring circular tool to finish it off somehow. The whole operation cost $10.

Comments

Roxanne said…
I always love watching how things are done. Glass blowing is one of my favorites. I always liked the portion of Mister Rogers when they would show the film of how things are made, usually some factory.

Hopefully no more spinny spinny. :)
Anonymous said…
Sounds fairly quick and easy. When I had to get my engagement ring resized, I seem to remember having to drop it off for a few days--that'll teach me to go with Kay.
This suzy said…
That sounds like a really quick resizing. I've never heard of them doing it right there while you wait before.
Bearette said…
Roxanne - isn't it fun? It still spins slightly, I discovered when I got home. But I'll live :)

Kitkat & Suzy - yes, I remember having to wait too. However, with my engagement ring I had to get it sized up...D got it too small, not knowing. Maybe sizing it down is quicker? Makes sense, in a way.
Mz.Elle said…
Wow that was quick and painless.
I had no clue how they did that,thanks for the how to story:)
I was in a dollar store the other day and they had bunches of bracelets for sale. It took me back to when it was the COOLEST thing ever,to wear a zillion metal bracelets up your arm as far as you could,hee hee so 80's!
Paul Champagne said…
These guys in the little shops are true craftsmen ... you can't get service like that in a Dept Store.
Bearette said…
Or the jelly bracelets...sigh, the memories ;)
Bearette said…
Paul - very true!
OhMyHeart said…
haha i remember the first time i was around diamond city. i had seen what...two real life hasidic jews in my life, and then i saw like 10 in a row. I was like wait...am I stereotyping? ah! haha
Mike Minzes said…
Great blog!! I will be back for more!

-0-0-
Elsa said…
For $10 - that's well worth resizing vs. using a ring guard. And such quick service, too!

BTW, I'm also a size 5 - although my engagement ring was sized at 4.5 and it fits perfectly.
Bearette said…
e - yes, it was well worth it! i was expecting it to cost $25 or more. it's hard to find rings in our size, huh? stores usually seem to have sizes 6-8 and that's about it.
Elsa said…
Yes, you're right. There is usually a limited selection for Size 5. But maybe that's better - less temptation! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!