Sunday thoughts

D went to the Central Park rally to support Darfur today, and came back a little disheartened...apparently the rally was a "failure", though Suzanne Vega sang and Mira Sorvino spoke. I served up broccoli with feta and glass for dinner. That's how it's known ever since, a long time ago, I broke the oregano bottle while making it and blithely used the oregano anyway. (I would not do the same today, but I was a paralegal and money was tight ;)

Anyway, I went on a bike ride after dinner. As I passed the strip club (I really wish there were some more aesthetic way to get to the bike path), I saw a rat the size of my foot with something pink in its mouth. D joked that it was a finger. It was just a harbinger of the horrors to come.

Ok, that was dramatic, but it was a rather scary bike ride. There is a certain contingent of bike riders who think they're Mario Andretti on 2 wheels instead of 4. Doesn't matter if it's dark, the path is crowded, or children and dogs are wandering around. They pride themselves on their ability to turn tight corners at 125 mph.

Although to be fair, it was a roller blader who screeched to a halt behind me and a couple carrying a baby (in a dark tunnel). I had only just recovered from that when it was time to turn off the path. A scary spandex biker decided to pass me on the left as I was taking a left turn. Our bikes nearly collided. And instead of saying "On your left" like a normal person, he said bup bup BUP, until I saw him and screeched to a halt. (Sorry, it's the only expression that describes it. My bike brakes could use a good dose of WD-40).

So, I'm glad to be alive.

In other news, my college class is organizing "7 simultaneous cocktail nights through the country (Boston, NYC, DC, Chicago, SF, LA) and the world (well, London)." I'm a little curious, but it coincides with the premiere of Grey's Anatomy. And you all know I can't miss that. Besides, I have a reunion coming up in May, so I'll see everybody then.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I decided to give away my rollerblades when I realized I couldn't ride in them without being scary - going fast and coming too close to pedestrians. The "two-wheeled racers" are a real problem.
Bearette said…
That was nice of you! I bet you were one of the more restrained ones, though :)
Roxanne said…
Sounds like you had quite a ride! Maybe you get one of those old fashioned bike horns to honk the crap out of when people try to kill you.

That trip sounds interesting. I like how 'the world' means London. ;)
Bearette said…
Hehe...i have a little bell...not quite the same effect as a horn ;) Re London, I got a chuckle out of that too :)
This suzy said…
I'm glad you survived the bike ride!
Anonymous said…
I hope one of those crazy bikers wasn't my brother. ;)
Bearette said…
he's blond, right? they had dark hair ;)
Bearette said…
Thanks, Suzy!
verniciousknids said…
Why was the rally a "failure"?

We have crazy out-of-control bikers here too...difference is that their average age is about 85 ;) Oh and you need to have squeaky brakes in Tokyo so that pedestrians can hear you coming up behind them!
Bearette said…
hehe...well, they can definitely hear me! :)

i'm not sure why he thought it was a failure. i guess he didn't think it was as well-attended as it could have been.
kj said…
hi bearette, this sounds like quite a bike trail. i can tell i would be indignant.

i like the way you cook, btw. keep the recipes a'coming. fall leads me to the kitchen.

ps thanks for the pilates tip a while back. as soon as i'm done pampering this back surgery, that is what i am going to do.
Bearette said…
KJ - i'm sorry to hear about your back surgery. i think pilates will really help build your strength when you feel up for it. fall is a good time to cook with all the squash, etc :)
Amy said…
I too cannot wait for the premiere of Grey's Anatomy, although I've heard we won't immediately hear Meredith's selection.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!