So I taught two classes tonight. It's interesting, I recently remarked to a friend that no one has cried in my class, though I'd been to classes as a student where people cried during savasana (final relaxation, at the end). I must have had a premonition...because at the end of the first class, while we were lying on our mats in the darkness and music played, one girl was crying.

I was torn...do I talk to her now and disrupt the others' savasana?...and decided to wait till the rest time was over. It was hard to listen to and not do anything, however, so I ended up shortening the savasana, turning the lights up and asking her (subtly so as not to attract undue attention) if she was ok...she said yes, and seemed calmer. After class, she stayed for a bit and I told her she could stay and meditate if she'd like, since the next class wasn't starting for 15 minutes. She thanked me, but explained meditation would probably make it worse, since when she's moving or working, it's ok but when she's still, it hits her. She told me there was a tragedy.

I felt bad/relieved about the crying, because I think it was cathartic for her. It was very intense, though...to lighten up the mood for the next class, I played Brazilian music and Madeleine Peyroux's new CD (which rocks, by the way).

On the subway, as I headed back, a man startled us all by yelling on the train. He said he was a Vietnam vet and we should show our gratitude by giving him money. But there was something menacing and scary about him, and we all shrank into our seats. He harangued us some more, introduced his wife (a tough-looking woman), and then said:

DID SOMEBODY LAUGH? I HOPE NOT.

Then, right before they were about to walk into the next car, he whirled around and said:

THE ARABS ARE COMING, YOU KNOW, AND WHEN THEY DO, US VETS WILL BE READY...SO THE LEAST YOU COULD DO IS GIVE US SOME MONEY. WE GOT ^&@#^ WHEN WE CAME HOME BEFORE. JUST GO ON SITTING ON YOUR @&(^*#.

I felt like giving him tips on panhandling:
1) Don't yell at riders.
2) Don't scare them.

Comments

Amy said…
What a scary experience with the vet. I always feel that they are the "lost" generation of the US - our dirty little secret that we don't want to do anything about but who are still here nonetheless still scarred by their experiences over 30 years ago.
Roxanne said…
How sad for the crying lady, but I guess it's also good that she was relaxed enough to 'get it out'. Means you did your job. ;)

Also, how sad for that vet that he feels compelled to use scare tactics to get people to listen. Maybe not the best approach, but I can see where he's coming from. People DO need to listen. It just saddens me that it is still an unresolved issue with so many people.

(I'm glad you didn't express your opinion to him about his panhandling techniques. You may not have been around to post this.)
Bearette said…
amy - it was scary. part of me is unsure whether he really went...he said he went "38 years ago", and somehow it didn't have the ring of truth...but i could be wrong.

roxanne - it's true. i think he has a lot of anger and doesn't really know how to deal with it constructively. and it is good i didn't say anything ;)
Anonymous said…
What does the word 'savasana' mean?

It's wonderful that you're teaching so much! I remember when you were lamenting the fact that you weren't getting enough calls to sub. Way to go. :)
Bearette said…
It actually means "corpse pose" - chilling, huh? So we usually just say the Sanskrit word.

Thanks :) I'm glad it's picked up. Having some permanent classes helped...and now I'm not so reliant on subbing...though I still do that too :)
kj said…
bearette, i wish i could take one of your classes. my body would be stiff and unbending, but i would definately get the spiritual journey.

every so often i go to kripalu in lennox. i'm guessing you've been there?

as for the vet, perhaps some affect of mental illness? it's pretty upsetting when anyone screams or gets angry in public.

have a good weekend!
Bearette said…
maybe you could take it long distance :)

i've never been to kripalu, though i've heard of it. i bet the berkshires are beautiful.

it was definitely scary...
Caro said…
Scary panhandlers, yikes!

If I took a yoga class, I'd cry, from PAIN.
Bearette said…
i'd be gentle!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!