So we went to the childbirth class today. I ended up liking the doula/nurse/teacher a lot. I had only interacted with her via email before, where she came across as a nice person, but I was a little concerned about not getting the packet beforehand. It turns out they were having problems with their printer. But the important part was that I really liked her; she had a comforting manner and I felt at ease with her right away, which I can't say about all strangers. She was one of those people who is just bubbling over with genuine warmth.

I haven't asked her to be my doula yet. I'm going to think about it. There's also a "speed-dating" event where you can meet doulas this Wednesday. I do think I feel more comfortable with this woman than most people. She was funny and down-to-earth. She even asked where D and I met (I got the impression she thought D was a "quality" husband). She is having a Superbowl party tomorrow and she asked all the girls to bring a single man. D thinks she is very practical ;)

At any rate, I felt comfortable enough with her to ask her my most ridiculous question (in private, not in front of the others). We're going to Miami in March and although it will be in the safe window for travel, I was afraid that if the plane hit the runway hard during landing, it would hurt E. She reassured me it would not, and didn't laugh at me or anything. We also talked about non-chemical sunscreen. She also joked about worrying later -- "what if he brings some hussy home?" she said, to be silly. I actually already thought about that. I bet most mothers don't like their son's girlfriend, at least at first.

We got to see the delivery rooms. They have CD players and VCRs, though not DVD players. So she encouraged us to bring our old VHS tapes. I have Sixteen Candles on VHS...that's probably a comforting one during labor :)

She also told us, "The labor room is like Vegas...what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"

Toward the end, we saw a baby who had been born a few hours ago...she was very pink and waving her arms and legs around. I think most of the girls wanted to stay and cuddle with her ;)

Comments

This suzy said…
That's so great that you feel comfortable with her! I'm sure that probably puts your mind at ease, to a certain extent. :)
Bearette said…
Yes, it does :) I think if I do ask her, I'll just tactfully point out that I want to be sure I can reach her, and ask her what the best way of reaching her is.
Poppy said…
Glad you feel comfortable!

The word "doula" always confused me. It doesn't roll off my brain right...
Anonymous said…
speed dating services for finding a doula! will wonders never cease....
Caro said…
I'm glad you like her. I particularly enjoyed the what happens in the labor room comment.

And how did I miss the title on your last post? It is too funny!

There's no such thing as a stupid question. I might have wondered that one myself.
Frema said…
While in labor, I watched When Harry Met Sally and Back to the Future. I also brought some CDs. Norah Jones is great for calming the nerves!
Bearette said…
Those are good ones. Sadly, I only have WHMS on DVD :( My VHS selection is somewhat limited...

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!