Nature red in tooth and claw

My mother sent me the following e-mail today:

Did I tell you I think my coyote ate my groundhog? I haven't seen the groundhog since the day the coyote was outside the family room window staring at him (about a month).

*Shiver*. I always liked the little guy, though he left holes in my mother's lawn. His handiwork made it hard for her to mow. Also, she may have even tripped in the holes. So she was probably grateful to the coyote. Still, the groundhog was a cute little fellow. He used to stand on his hind legs with his paws clasped, as if in prayer. He liked to eat apples from my mom's two apple trees.

In other news...

I was watching Big Love last night (no spoilers, don't worry) and wondering what is in it for Margene. Barb was roped into it (the polygamous marriage, that is); Nicki is from the compound. But Margene didn't grow up with the Principle, had no prior husband to pressure her into it, and is young and pretty. I'm still half-hoping she'll run off with Barb's son, but I'm sure it won't happen.

And still other news...

Yesterday, I figured I shouldn't have blogged about the pleasant doctor's visit, because I might jinx my health somehow. Sure enough, I stubbed my toe (and foot) HARD last night. You can't break the bones in your foot that way, right? Still...ouch.

Update on the groundhog:

My mother writes:

Actually, this groundhog wasn't bad. He didn't seem to be eating flowers, he would just come up to the pool circle and eat the clover there. The coyote didn't necessarily get him. He (the groundhog) might have just moved on to safer quarters after the close encounter. This groundhog seemed to have a bit of a disability. His hind quarters were very defined, sort of like a rabbit's.

Comments

Mz.Elle said…
Aww poor baby!
We love the groundhogs that live in Barkerville(a ghost town resort) they are so sweet and tame.
I hope he did just move on:)
Bearette said…
Me too :)

He always looked very cute when he was eating an apple.
This suzy said…
The house we used to live in had a wooded backyard with a grass field behind it and a corn field beyond that, so we had a lot of critters, including a couple groundhogs that lived under our deck! It's because of them that I found out that groundhogs climb trees.

I hope your mom's groundhog is okay!
Bearette said…
I didn't know they climbed trees! That's cute.

I hope so, too.
Anonymous said…
I'm glad you didn't stub your toe Saturday - we would have had to carry you home!

Thanks for being a nice hostess and tour guide - it was fun.

--Ron
Bearette said…
You're welcome! I had fun too.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!