Back in my hometown

So D and I went to my hometown for my birthday, which is Sunday, but we're celebrating it tomorrow.

The morning was a little crowded because D's business colleague and his wife were in town from the Netherlands. I was worried about the tight fit -- brunch 2 hours before our train departed -- but I was glad I went. The colleague's wife is very bubbly, a little flashier than most of my friends (with bright yellow hair and a lot of chest on display), but a really sweet person. Did I mention that brunch is one of my favorite meals ever? I ordered a fresh fruit crepe, which arrived drizzled in strawberry sauce. D's colleague looked at it and said, "I'll have one too!" He'd already had French toast, but that didn't stop him ;)

The colleague's wife entertained me with stories of how she travels a lot, and went to Johannesburg last week. She forgot it is winter in the southern hemisphere, and said, "It was cold, and I am like this!" (gesturing to her decolletage -- I can only guess it was exposed). So she bought a scarf and vest for her 48-hour stay. I wouldn't have thought of the opposite-season thing, either. She also told me they have a fox and a rabbit near their house back in Holland. I asked her if they named them, and she said she'll consult with her kids about that.

I'm eternally grateful to her for saying to D, "You should go!" as our train departure time edged closer. He actually got on the train a few minutes before it left! I headed right to the train from the restaurant, while he stopped at home to pack. He likes to live life on the edge :)

Once we got to my hometown, I took a long ride on the Giant Sedona, a charming green bicycle we got in May. My mom likes to use it too. Some of the other bikers smiled, waved and said hello to me -- I was in shock. In New York, all the other bikers try to kill you!

Also, I was riding, I heard a dog barking. I said "Woof" back each time it woofed. There was a parked car in the way, so the dog and I couldn't see each other. Then the dog came into view...and its owner, who was laughing because he heard me and the dog barking at each other. A little embarrassing, but also funny :)

My mom and I saw a bunny in our backyard, eating clover from the circle where the pool used to be. I took some pictures, but they were fuzzy due to the screen. Of course, once I opened the door, the rabbit disappeared.

I saw one of my favorite neighborhood dogs, Pinocchio, back in New York this morning. I said, "Hello, sweetie pie!" and his owner immediately said, "What about me? I'm a sweetie pie, too." This had a chilling effect on my communication with the dog...I didn't want the owner to feel bad. But people address dogs differently than other people. He should know that!

And finally, 3-month-old bulldogs are extremely cute.

Comments

blackcrag said…
I also bark back at dogs too. It's fun.

I lived in a rural area of Vancouver Island for a long time. There was a cow pasture alongside the road leading to my home. I often whizzed past (it was at the bottom of a steep hill) mooing at the cows when they were talking. Almost as often I've passed the people living in the house next to the pasture, laughing their heads off at the cows' and my conversation.
Elsa said…
Happy "early" Birthday! Hope you have a great day...both Saturday and Sunday!

The colleague's wife does sound very entertaining.
This suzy said…
That "woof" thing sounds exactly like something I would do! I would just laugh with the owner, though. That's just fun. :)
Bearette said…
I'm glad other people do the same thing!

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!