The doctor


So I went to the doctor today for a physical. I haven't had one in a while because the nurse at my former doctor's office was a direct descendant of the Marquis de Sade and would stab me 15 times (okay, 5, but even that can make you queasy) to get a blood sample, all the while chuckling evilly. It turns out that doctor no longer takes my insurance -- maybe a blessing in disguise. Or maybe just an overt blessing!

This doctor was great -- very bubbly and vivacious, and also good at what she does. Her hometown is about 30 minutes from mine. Small world. Also, the doctor's office is next door to my apartment building, and there was no copay.

In other good news, I was both taller and thinner than I thought (5'8 1/2", 122 lbs). D is skeptical about the height, but I like it! Blood pressure was also good - 100 over 60.

The only bad part was the blood taking, and the nurse made it as easy as possible. After the first stab didn't work, she apologized profusely, put a cold cloth on my head (well, cold paper towel, but it works just as well), and found a smaller needle. She was successful on the second try, which was great.

A horrible thought occurred to me, though. "Do they take your blood all the time when you're pregnant?"

Yup.

(I'm not pregnant, but inquiring minds want to know.)

Comments

bdogg_mcgee said…
Glad you found someone you like!
And just so you know, they do WAY more than take blood from you when you're pregnant. Not that I am, mind you, but when you work in an office full of women who know you're trying, well, you get all kinds of stories. Yeah. Don't know if they realize that they're making me want to NEVER HAVE CHILDREN. EVER.
Bearette said…
Yeah, I'm sure there are all kinds of indignities :( The blood is just bad for me because my veins are so hard to find.
Roxanne said…
I think it all depends on who you have helping you through your pregnancy. I think I had blood drawn only once with the first one and that was with an OB/GYN. The second I never had blood drawn because my midwife asked my opinion (imagine that) on certain tests. I opted out because they were only ones to determine whether the fetus was malformed in some way (it wouldn't have changed my going through with the pregnancy).

Love your cute band-aid. :)
Bearette said…
Roxanne - interesting. i wonder if ob/gyns always draw a lot of blood, but midwives give you the option.

thanks re the band-aid. i have hello kitty ones, and d has sesame street ones :)
Anonymous said…
I see midwives for my annual appointments and they're wonderful. In my experience, they really try to empower, educate, and listen to their patients.

They're asked me things (about my emotional and sexual well-being) that no doctor ever has.
Bearette said…
They do sound like a good idea. And I liked the book :)

I know my brother's wife had one.
Amy said…
Love the Hello Kitty band-aid!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!