Library crimes

When I was waiting in line at the library today, a sign caught my eye: "Muggers." Upon closer examination, it read:

MUGGLES
If you have placed Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on hold, please go to the Circulation Desk. This title will not be on the Open Hold Shelf until after July 25, 2007.

This cracked me up. I guess the librarians are afraid that people will steal other people's Harry Potter copies. The books on the Open Hold Shelf are arranged spine inward anyway, so you can't say, "Hmm. This other person's book looks good; I think I'll take it." They attach your ID number to the edge of your book with a rubber band, and that's the only way you can tell it's yours.

When I put books on hold, it used to take forever. Now they are spewing in, an unstoppable wave of books. The only explanation I could come up with is: maybe a lot of the library patrons are in the Hamptons. But that is unlikely; they probably don't use the library.

(That's a catch-all explanation for anything being faster or more convenient in the summer. No line at your favorite brunch spot? They're all in the Hamptons.)

D thinks maybe people have more time to read in the summer.

In other news, we saw The Simpsons last night. It was nothing to write home about, though parts of it were funny. I was never a fan of the show, but the preview reeled me in. It made me laugh when President Schwarzenegger said, "I was elected to lead, not to read". And Spider Pig was amusing. I would give it a B or B-.

Comments

Roxanne said…
I would think that people would read more in the winter, snuggled under a nice warm blanket. But I suppose that some people read a lot on summer vacations (if they like relaxing vacays).

We're planning on seeing the Simpsons movies at the drive-in theater. Thanks for the review. :)

Also, thanks for the book recommendation...Eat, Love, Pray. I love, love, loved it!
Bearette said…
Awesome! I'm glad :)
Bearette said…
Hairspray was really good, too.
Elsa said…
We just saw the Simpson movie, too and I was disappointed. I thought it be funnier. I expected more clever jokes. And I agree with you about Spider Pig - I think that was the funniest part.
Kristen said…
My books on hold are also spewing from the library! There was a lag of about a month or two when I did not get anything but now they're all coming fast and furious. I can't keep up!
Bearette said…
It's crazy, isn't it? I added a couple of books with long waits to my list, just to stem the flow ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!