Life in NYC

Every once in a while, I run out of things to blog about, but Manhattan provides its own fodder. Today I was walking along and a man came tearing out of the grocery store with bags in his hands. Another man followed fast on his heels, also with bags, screaming "DAVE! DAVE!" Heads turned. Since it was in my neighborhood, we all assumed it was a lover's spat. Then a police car pulled up to the lights. The guy crossing the street next to me alerted the cop: "A guy just ran after another guy yelling, 'THIEF! THIEF!' They went that way."

Well, it's a good thing there are non-deaf citizens to help the cops out.

Also, last night I almost got run down by a cyclist. I think it was a delivery boy. He was shooting right down the middle of the street as I was crossing. I was rattled, so I yelled, "What is wrong with you? @!%^#$!" There was a witness - a guy in a pink knitted cap, smoking a cigarette. "I seen him," he told me. "I seen him, and he was in the wrong."

That made me laugh for some reason.

And finally, happiness is a warm cat. Rainer was perfectly well-adjusted today. My pants weren't wet, so he snuggled up with me for a long time, but he didn't freak out (at least in a mewing way) when I left. Instead, he was crafty! When I uncoiled one leg, he stayed on the other leg as long as possible, till I slipped it out from under him. Then he tried to lie down on my Strand bag. He is a smart cat.

Comments

Roxanne said…
The guy in the pink knitted hat- sounds like you have something in common with him. ;) It's always nice to have someone back you up in situations like that. Even if it doesn't really go anywhere.

Aww, sweet sweet Ranier. I guess he does love you after all. :)
Bearette said…
He is my special friend :) I do feel this deep bond with him.
Caro said…
That's the second crazy bicyclist you've (almost) run into lately. Well they almost ran into you anyway.
Bearette said…
The city is full of crazy bikers. I remember when I first met D, he would throw out his arm to protect me from oncoming bikes, but he didn't worry about cars. Makes perfect sense to me now :)
This suzy said…
You're handing out pink knitted caps all over Manhattan, aren't you? lol
blackcrag said…
You should look on Rainer's belly, see if there's a price tag. Sooner or later, you're going to have to take him home with you.
Mz.Elle said…
Hee I'm laughing with ya about the guy in the hat too.why? I'm not sure,it just sounds funny:)

What a nice kitty. My cat hates me;p I can't wait to sucker my husband into a new one,heh
Bearette said…
BC - i've actually considered knitting a cat bed for him ;) but it would be counterproductive, b/c he wouldn't go in my lap anymore.

Ms. L - i'm sorry your cat hates you! it is funny, how it feels like an honor if they snuggle up to you...with dogs it's just automatic.
Amy said…
That's a great story...and speaking of cats, did you hear the story about the cat in England who takes the bus from one stop to the stop with the fish & chips shop. I heard it on NPR. Adorable!
Bearette said…
That is so cute! I hope he enjoyed the fish and chips.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!