Do you have a heart in your body?

Thursday nights, I teach a yoga class in an upscale building. When I got into the lobby and was waiting for the elevator, I saw a girl of about 11. She had the jaded look of a child model. In fact, she looked a bit like Mariel Hemingway...wide-spaced eyes, high cheekbones.

Her little sister (maybe five or six?) was prancing around with a stuffed animal peeking out of her jacket pocket. I sensed a kindred spirit and smiled at her; she smiled back. In the elevator, she threw her arms around her older, taller sister and rested her head on her tummy. She looked up all wide-eyed and asked, "Do you have a heart in your body?"

The jaded sister replied, "Yes, Anne, I have a heart in my body" in an oh-my-god-you're-a-moron tone. I felt bad for the little sister, but after a moment she collected herself, and went over to the elevator panel to read quietly. "Twenty-nine, thirty, thirty-one," she chanted softly as the floors went by.

I always love little kids like that, and kind of want to protect them from the knowledge that the world is not always a nice place. I hope she stays that way for a long time.

In other gentle news, D and I watched The Company last night. I really enjoyed it. It might not be for everyone - there wasn't much of a plot -- but the dancing was fantastic. Really energetic and unusual. It inspired me to shake up my yoga routine in class tonight.

Comments

Caro said…
It sounds like the younger sister was unsure if the older one DID have a heart in her body.

Older sisters can be brutal.
Iamthebookworm said…
11 year olds can be so snotty!
Bearette said…
caro & bookworm - i hope she's nice to her sometimes. she really was so cute.
This suzy said…
I like little kids like that too. Keepin' it simple and keepin' it real.
Mz.Elle said…
Awww,she sounds like my kind of kid too:)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!