Finished!



So I finished my hat today. Isn't it cute?

The pattern claimed that casting on 72 stitches would make the hat big enough to fit any adult. I was skeptical, because my head is large (23"). So I cast on 8 more stitches, and knit a little more than the recommended 9 inches before I started decreasing.

Well, guess what? It's a little big. It's not a problem, because I can roll up the brim and I've already gotten compliments on it. But now I know that 72 stitches would have been enough, and I can proceed with confidence when making hats from this pattern in the future.

I had a little trouble sewing up the seam. I tried to teach myself from a book, but I could tell I wasn't doing it right. So I went to my current favorite yarn shop. It's adorable. They have a dog who naps in the store. They also have cute knitting magazines lying around (I want a subscription to Rowan now). The owner was kind enough to teach me how to sew the seam, and she didn't just teach me and run, either. She waited till I was totally comfortable doing it myself. It struck me that she'd be a perfect bike-riding teacher; she would know just when to let go.

Also, in the store they were playing Dixie Chicks. I've never really followed country music. But I was thinking how nice the music was to knit to, and someone explained that it was them - Taking the Long Way.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like the Dixie Chicks, even though I'm not a big country fan. I love Wide Open Spaces and Cowboy Take Me Away, especially.

The hat is gorgeous!!
bdogg_mcgee said…
Very cute hat!!!!
Bearette said…
Yay! I'm glad you guys like it. I like your new avatar, Bdogg.

I think I'll get that Dixie Chicks album. I put it on my wish list so I'll remember it. Maybe I should check out Wide Open Spaces also.
kj said…
bearette, i'm stopping by to say congratulations!
Roxanne said…
I'm sure it looks even better on your head. :)

Nice job. You're coming along quite well. I'll be posting pictures soon of my first knitting attempts.
Bearette said…
Thanks! I'm now working on a blue one :)
Bearette said…
Thanks Roxanne! I started your hat. This time I'm not wracked with anxiety about it fitting incorrectly, 'cause I know the pattern's good :)

Looking forward to seeing your knitting!
Lisa said…
Pretty hat!

I'm a country fan, and a big Dixie Chicks fan. "Taking the Long Way" is my favorite of their albums. Definitely the most main stream. "Fly" has some hysterically funny songs on it.
Lisa said…
Oh, and I've managed to lose your e-mail and snail mail addresses. Again. Could you send them to me when you get a chance? lisa@wanderingpen.com

Thanks!

Lisa
Bearette said…
Sure, I will email them over. I don't have your new snail mail address either.

Are the songs on "Fly" intentionally funny? ;)
Caro said…
What a cute hat!

You don't look like you have a big head.
Bearette said…
Thanks! My head is actually the same size as D's ;) I guess we can share hats.
Anonymous said…
Congrats on the hat :) It looks really cozy. I think it took me a few tries before I found the right number of stitches to cast on for a hat to fit just right(we all knit a little bit different). Also, you should try knitting in the round - you can do it with a circular needle or a pair of double points (my faves) - it's totally easy and the best part is NO SEWING! You bind off and ta-da - it's a hat right off the needles...
Bearette said…
Thanks! i'm scared of the circulars and DPNs. i guess i should try 'em sometime, though.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!