An embarrassing but funny moment

So D and I are both sick, but starting to feel better. We had dinner last night with friends who live in the area. They are a fun, genial couple, and the husband is a doctor. He was able to diagnose me swiftly and efficiently after peering down my throat in the light from his cell phone ;)

For dinner tonight, D and I went to Nexxt (yup, they spell it that way). It's a crowded place with outdoor seating, and the tables are packed close together. As the meal drew to a close, a huge burp tore out of me. It came out of nowhere, like a force of nature. I looked furtively at the couple next to us, to see if they heard. They looked stunned, and then they laughed -- but in a nice way. For a couple of minutes we giggled together. I still can't believe I did that!

On the beach yesterday, a pair of girls settled on their towels near us. It was one of those situations where I feel bad for one of the friends. One girl looked like Barbie, with carefully dyed platinum hair and cute, tight-fitting clothes, while the other was dressed in a caftan, with frizzy hair of indeterminate color, a double chin, and a bloated, sad face. A guy came over to talk with Barbie and their conversation went like this:

Guy: My buddy and I are staying at the ___. Wanna sleep over?

Barbie: Hahaha!

Guy: Do you?

Barbie: I have a boyfriend.

Guy (quickly): Oh. I have a girlfriend. She's a dancer, not on a pole --

Barbie: Hehehe!

Guy: -- but on Broadway. She's in L.A. now.

[Conversation continues in this vein for 15 minutes. Then he deigns to notice the friend.]

Guy: Hi, how are you. [Turning back to Barbie.] As I was saying...

I would have forgotten all about them, but I saw the two friends again today...with a different guy talking to Barbie as they traveled across the beach. What is in it for the ignored girl?

Comments

Waspgoddess said…
Yes I often wonder about that same thing. Why would a plain looking girl want to spend time with a Barbie? Especially on a beach. And why does Barbie want to spend time with a plain looking girl? Can they truly be best friends?

Even though I wouldn't want to look like a Barbie and attract shallow men who are only interested in Barbie-looking creatures, I think my self confidence would reach rock bottom after about five minutes in her company.
Roxanne said…
Maybe Barbie and her friend connect on a deeper level than just outward appearances. I know that many of my friends as I was growing up attracted the boys (and I didn't) but it wasn't necessarily from their looks, more from personality and social skills I think (of which I had none in regards to boys). And even though Barbie seemed to be having shallow conversation with these men, she may have just been playing along. I think a lot of hot babes are a lot smarter than most people think. And maybe the friend was not interested in such shallow men that pay attention to women just because they look pretty. ;)

I'm not sure where this one started, but everytime someone belches loudly and obviously at the table, my hubby always says, "It's not bad manners, just a good meal."

I hope you feel better. :)
Bearette said…
Thanks! I'm on antibiotics, which seem to be helping. I'm sure you're right...things are often more nuanced than I initially think they are.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
My great grandmother always said (regarding burps), "There's more room on the outside than on the inside."

What if you'd held it in? Your eyes might have exploded!

Now I'm positive that Alex would love you. He's a pretty good burper. ;)
Bearette said…
Aw, that's cute! When I clicked on the comments to respond, all of the screen disappeared except a small square with Banana (the pink dog) in it - must have been a sign ;)
Elsa said…
Sorry you're not feeling good.

I wasn't there and I even feel bad for that girl - that must be very tough for her.

And that's pretty funny about your burp! :) It's cool that everyone was laughing and just having fun.
jules said…
The loud burp part, hysterical.
Lisa said…
Maybe they are sisters and thus connected on a deeper level or forced to hang out together.

But I totally sympathesize with the plain girl. I have all these fabulously attractive female friends and would not want to be seen next to them on the beach!
This suzy said…
I have been that "other" girl so many times it's not funny. Sometimes the other person really is your friend, and you know that's how it's going to be. It doesn't necessarily help your self-esteem, but that doesn't mean it comes as a surprise either.
Katie said…
Sorry you're not feeling well!

I've been the "other girl," quite afew times, and it doesn't get better until you go away to college and meet so many people that aren't Barbie and are generally a lot nicer than Barbie ever could be.

But I'm not bitter or anything ;)

Take care!
Anonymous said…
He should have started talking to the friend. The friend would feel appreciated, and Barbie would start wondering why he wasn't interested in _her_. Then maybe he'd have had a shot.

--Lobo

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!