Crime and punishment

So D and I got back from Miami last night. I always get a little thrill from seeing the New York skyline, especially at night. Like San Fran, New York is a city of bridges, and they always look so pretty, as if they have bright little necklaces strung across the tops. (I know, I'm sure that comparison has been made before, but the lights on the bridges really do look like cute jewelry.)

There was some drama on Wednesday, our last day at the beach. We checked out of our hotel at 1 pm. They agreed to keep our bags behind the desk, and we decided to spend the rest of the day at the beach, which closes at 5 pm. At that point, the "beach boys" put away the rented chairs and umbrellas, which are fairly expensive.

But on Wednesday, the beach boy came up at 4:20 and told us the beach was closing in 10 minutes. He claimed there was a beach-wide personnel meeting. He was insistent, so we got off the chairs.

The whole thing sounded fishy to me, especially since I saw him race off the beach with one of the other beach boys, but the rest of the beach boys stayed put. So D went up to one of the others, who called his supervisor. The ones who lied about the meeting ended up getting two days' suspension, and the beach boy who called his supervisor gave us 2 chairs till 5:00. They also offered to comp us the next day, but we were leaving that night, unfortunately.

At the time I was angry because the first guy was quite rude to us and used hardball tactics. Plus, he lied. Now I feel bad that he lost two days' pay. But D felt the punishment was appropriate for the "crime"...firing would have been too much, but two days' suspension was fine.

Maybe I am just too much of a softy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Did the beach boy say there was a meeting so he could leave early?

He must be pretty stupid if he thought you guys wouldn't notice the lack of meeting activity. :)
Bearette said…
Yeah, he made up a meeting. I think that was part of what made me angry...that he thought we would fall for it.
Waspgoddess said…
Welcome home. It's good to be away, but even better to be home, isn't it?

He deserved it! I don't think you should feel bad. He was supposed to be working, he lied to get off, if he wasn't punished he'd just continue pulling similar stunts.
Bearette said…
WG - it is even better to be home :) the sunny weather every day was fun, but a little unnerving ;)

Thanks, I! Have a groovy time :)
Lisa said…
I've turned into an old fogey lately---ranting about the need for those darn kids to learn about responsibility and consequences. So I say he deserved the suspension.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!