What goes into a good mood

I was working on my new novel and went from page 51 to 56...and it came easily. The 5 pages passed in a nice writerly haze. Out of nowhere, I remembered a conversation with my father when I was 8 or 9. I'd come across a Judy Blume quote - "Write from the heart" - and thought it was the best piece of writing advice ever...and then my dad said, "But then it runs all risk of becoming maudlin"...I think it's best to keep both things in mind. I felt I was writing from the heart without being maudlin :) I also looked up the word out of curiosity about its exact meaning, and learned that it derived from Mary Magdalen, who was often described as a "tearful penitent"...

Then I saw Sarah on the street. She is an amazing gray miniature schnauzer, with beautiful brown eyes. She was very calm, "tuckered out" at the end of her walk, her owner said. She is one of my favorites. I remember when she was a puppy, just a ball of pure energy.

Then I actually had a good time at Whole Foods! I said to D once, you have to keep your wits about you or you'll lose a limb. I go there anyway, because their 365 brand is a good deal...89 cents for a pound of penne, 69 cents for a can of cannellini. It wasn't too busy so there wasn't all the tension and hissed "excuse me"s through gritted teeth. A couple were dancing and singing along with the "doo wah diddy" from the sound system. They were doing it in that fun way where they really didn't care what anyone thought. And the cashier was cheerful...he was telling his neighbor that British people always say "cheers", so he does the same with them...when my time was up, he said, "See you later, alligator." I also inadvertently pushed my shopping cart out of the store, and then I realized my mistake and went back. The security guard was laughing and said it was amusing.

Comments

Perplexio said…
Writing from the heart only becomes maudlin if you write too close to the heart. How you put the distance between your heart and your writing is entirely up to you. I think we all have our various devices for doing so.

At any rate, it's not an easy balance to strike, so I wish you luck in doing so.
Bearette said…
Thanks, Perplexio. How is your novel going?
Perplexio said…
I'm on page 18, but still going pretty strong. Although with helping my sis-in-law move from the 'burbs to the city this weekend, I didn't get a chance to do any writing.
Caro said…
Whole Foods sounds like Costco - the busy, teeth-gritting part.

I love their rice milk.
Bearette said…
I got some almond milk last night. I love it! And it doesn't stick to the pan like soy milk does when I make oatmeal. I think I've found a winner.
Caro said…
Almond milk is my very favorite.

I just wish I could figure out how to make pudding with it that doesn't seperate.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!