Late night thoughts

Why must I always get a second wind at 1:30? I could take melatonin, but after dreams about Woody Allen, Floyd Landis, and moving to Nairobi (which looked a bit like a more exotic San Francisco, in my dream at least), I approach the stuff with extreme caution.

TN and I had brunch and saw a movie on Sunday. I had pain perdu (literally, "lost" or "damned bread"; it was really just French toast, but very good) and she had a banana/Nutella crepe. The movie was Quinceanera, which was playing at an artsy theater that serves marble cake, carrot cake, slabs of brownies, and three varieties of homemade cookies. I never get any of them, but I like to ogle.

The movie was kind of a disappointment to us both. After a lot of clever moments and fun snippets of dialogue, there was one of those "guess we have to end it" endings, with all the threads hanging loose and nothing resolved. We agreed it was an A movie till the end, which dragged it down to a B. Oh well. Worth seeing if you like Sundance flicks; if not, not.

Anyway, at brunch, TN asked me, "If your book were made into a movie, who would you want to be in it?" We brainstormed and came up with the following cast:

Maggie Gyllenhaal (main character) Although I'm not sure about this. I like Eva Longoria too.
Hugh Jackman, John Cusack (various love interests)
Molly Ringwald or Parker Posey (older sister)
Lili Taylor (yoga school friend)
Jay Mohr (one of the evil lawyers)

Tomorrow D and I are meeting P's sister. He referred to her by name without identifying her in his email. Now, I got all excited because I thought we were going to meet his mother. I've heard many stories about Mrs. C. She apparently has one of those crackly, tobacco-cured voices that P loves to imitate.

Mrs. C, being prepped for surgery: Heh. I bet the doctors are saying...Mrs. C is a true redhead.

Also, she likes to call P and, mistaking him for a pizza place, order a pizza with pineapple...at 9 am in the morning.

Let's hope his sister is at least as interesting.

Comments

Roxanne said…
I love that cast. And I MUST read your book. Well, when it's finished I mean. ;)

I didn't know any pizza places were open at 9 am. Sounds like an interesting lady though. BTW, my hubby likes to do imitations of people who have lost their smoker's voice and now have those creepy voice box thingees.

(I just got my second wind too.)
Anonymous said…
Who's P?

M and I rent a lot of Sundance movies, but I agree that the endings can be less than satisfying.
Bearette said…
R - thanks! as for the pizza, i'm sure they're not open...i think she's just in her own little world :)

L - he's a friend of ours who works for D...he was in England last year so i hadn't mentioned him much. i guess the sundance folks aren't into traditional endings :(
Bearette said…
then again, little miss sunshine was a sundance movie, and had a great ending. that one is definitely worth seeing :)
Caro said…
Mrs. C is a true redhead - hee hee.
Elsa said…
I hope you were able to get some sleep.

I agree with C - Maggie G. and Parker P. are "cool".

So when does the movie come out!? I want to get advance tickets. ;)
Bearette said…
Thanks...I actually did, about half an hour later.

I'll be sure to let you know ;)
Amy said…
I'm interested in the main character of your book because Maggie Gyllenhaal and Eva Longoria are such different people - it's hard to imagine what the character must be like. On another note, I love nutella :-)
Bearette said…
P - it's fun, isn't it?

A - it's someone kind of naughty and racy, as D put it, but also innocent and naive. So maggie is probably better for the role. i should try nutella one of these days! my friend loves it.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!