Pigeon and grape

This is the kind of story I would usually save for D, but he is out, so y'all in blogland will receive it. It's a little ridiculous. I know.

Anyway, I tried fresh Medjool dates (all the way from Israel!) recently. Initially, I thought there wasn't that big a difference between fresh and dried dates. But then a craving for fresh dates kicked in. I figured, D and I can eat them on the train today. So I went to Fairway (the date mecca) to buy fresh dates and grapes.

On the way back, I saw an exceptionally cute pigeon (black and white, with fluffy feathers). I decided to share a grape with it. So I plucked off a tasty-looking grape and put it on the sidewalk. It rolled toward the curb and fell into the street. The pigeon scurried away, looking at me as if I were crazy. (None of the passers-by took much notice; after all, this is New York.)

Not to be discouraged, I retrieved the grape and planted it near the pigeon. The pigeon wandered around it, not closing in.

"Here, pigeon! Here!" I cajoled, indicating the grape with my toe. The pigeon ignored me.

I felt rejected, and bad for the grape, sitting alone on the sidewalk.

Sigh.

This morning, D told me he was going to the doctor early (he has a physical) in order to make our train on time. (A little back story: I typically pick up the tix in advance so we can go to the train separately. I like to get there a little early. D, who likes to live life on the edge, typically boards the train two minutes before it leaves.)

D: I'm going to go to the doctor early.

Me: How old is he?

D: I think he's in his fifties.

Me: Is he a healthy man?

D: I think so.

Me: Any heart problems?

D: No, why?

Me: 'Cause he might have a heart attack if you get there early!!

Sorry, I love my own humor ;)

In other news, my early-morning class is picking up - 5 people showed up on Thursday morning! And the French woman returned. Again, she napped after class :) It was cute.

Comments

kj said…
this is the kind of conversation i have with my partner over dinner--just the little details of the day.

it was alot of fun to read this little slice of your life. you held my attention.

ps what do pigeons like--seeds?
Bearette said…
kj - thanks! i'm actually not sure; i know birds aren't supposed to eat rice. i think they can eat seeds. they might be like dogs and not able to eat grapes, i realized...
Caro said…
Maybe the pigeon wanted some french fries. :P

I enjoyed your heart attack comment.
Bearette said…
hehe...thanks. i was worried it was in bad taste ;)

as it turns out, he got there late, so the doctor was safe.
Anonymous said…
I would've felt sorry for the lonely grape, too. :)
Bearette said…
i wonder if it's still there ;)
This suzy said…
I would've felt bad for the grape too! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! :)
Bearette said…
We can form a grape support society :)
Anonymous said…
GSS.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!