Looking up

So today I got an email from a girl I sub for pretty often; she was asking me to call her. She offered me a subbing gig for the month of August. It's at a private club and I like teaching there; small class and it pays quite well. So I said sure.

R: And I might give it up in the month of September...and I'm going to try to give it to you. And you might as well become an employee of theirs now...they'll want you to fill out some paperwork and take a drug test. Is that ok?

Me: Sure...oh, I take melatonin to sleep. Do you think that will show up?

R: (laughing) No, that's natural. I'm sure that would be ok.

Yay!

Another fragment from yesterday that I just found too cringe-worthy to type. Most studios pay x amount of money regardless of how many people show up. Some studios pay x plus y based on how many people show up. I found out that the studio yesterday has its own little system.

Yesterday, after class:

C: How come I did not pay? (she doesn't use contractions, which I've noticed among non-native English speakers. It's cute.)

Me: I don't know, we can ask at the front desk.

At the front desk, with C present:

Front Desk Girl (FDG): Oh, she's your guest [apparently because we were waiting together when FDG arrived.] So she doesn't have to pay. But you can MAKE her pay. Because otherwise you won't get paid.

Me: Do you have any social graces?

Just kidding, I didn't say that. But I wanted to.

So frankly I have my doubts about yesterday's studio. But there will be a new FDG on Thursday, because this FDG said acidly, "I'll warn them to come in early on Thursday."

Update: The director asked me how it was going, and I suggested they update the website...and she said they would do it "asap". I'm glad I talked with her!

Comments

Anonymous said…
FDG should only be allowed to work in dark, remote library stacks.
Bearette said…
yes! :)

fortunately the thursday FDG seems a lot nicer. she emailed me and the director suggesting we change it to 10:15 (which is fine with me).
Anonymous said…
It's a pity that the very social graces which are so lacking in the world prevent those who posess them from calling attention to their absence in these moments. Alas. I commiserate and applaud your restraint.
I know you've been sending out class notices, but is there somewhere on the web (ie a yoga-teaching, or simply 'cool bearette24 events,' website) where folks could go to look up your current schedule all in one place?
Bearette said…
t - yes, it's very ironic! :)
i do have a website, katieyoga.com. i have to update it to reflect the class time change to 10:15 am, but it's otherwise accurate.

i don't put the private club classes on the website, b/c unfortunately i can't invite people - it's for residents only :( but everything else is there.
Anonymous said…
omigosh! love your pink yoga page!
Thanks!
T
Anonymous said…
It's amazing how many people work in a service-oriented job who have no idea what that's supposed to mean. I don't know how many times I've had to just smile and bite my tongue because itwas my job!

Someone should fire her.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!