Little miss sunshine

So D and I had dinner with M&M (married couple with the same initials). Guess what? She's pregnant! We also talked to a (secretly) pregnant woman yesterday. This is getting out of control.

We went to Josie's, this organic place on the Upper West Side, and it was super fabulous. I had butternut squash soup with basil pesto (dairy-free), an avocado, tofu and chickpea salad, and then D and I shared a slice of their vegan apple pie. So did M&M.

Afterward we saw Little Miss Sunshine. There were 2 dogs out front of the theater; this woman was trying to get them adopted. We donated some money and I patted one of the dogs. After the movie, the same dog was very tired. I felt bad for it lying on the concrete. If I were the woman, I would bring a blanket.

The movie was very good, though I was saddened by the sight of the dog afterward. It had a lot more energy before the movie. D and I had a debate about the theme of the movie. I felt it was tied up with winning...the father's obsession. D pointed out that the father's fixation was misplaced and proved to be shallow. Instead, it was about "embracing your inner freak" (in a dance scene that did not quite rival the ending of Napoleon Dynamite, but was impressive in its own right).

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't know about OVERALL theme, but I thought it made an interesting comment on "appropriateness" in our culture in the end. Everyone was seemingly horrified by Olive's dance routine, yet far worse were the shades of JonBenet Ramsey in all of those poor girls whose parents saw nothing wrong with pimping them out at their tender ages...
verniciousknids said…
Pregnancy is contagious ;)
Bearette said…
Ashley - i agree, the pageant was very creepy. the contrast between olive and the other girls in their artificial getups was very striking.

VK - i think so! another friend, who kind of dumped d and me after we started dating, is pregnant...i heard it through another friend...so that makes 3 people who are pregnant at once.
Caro said…
I hope the dog found a home eventually.

So many pregnant people, it must be something in the air, like maybe LEGS.
Anonymous said…
Hehe to carolyn's comment.

a dance scene that did not quite rival the ending of Napoleon Dynamite

What could rival that scene? If this movie is the one I'm thinking of, I really want to see it, but I don't even know where the movie theaters are in my new town!
Bearette said…
C - hehe...that took me a minute to figure out, then i got it ;) Yeah, I know about 4 pregnant women?!? My high school friend (now in Houston) is pregnant too.

Kitkat - you should definitely see it. Maybe you can check the newspaper? hopefully there is one close to you!
Elsa said…
How can ANYTHING compare to Napoleon Dynamite's dance? Nothing can!
Bearette said…
I know, it's one of those incomparable moments ;) He had moves :)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!