Polydogous

I met an exceptional dog today. It was a French bulldog. There was the usual French bulldog/Boston terrier confusion, with the owner explaining that he looked more like a Boston terrier than most. Anyway, he was overcome with excitement! He licked my face, jumped up and down, and sprawled luxuriously on the sidewalk so I could rub his belly. When I got up to leave, he looked at me sadly. I turned around a couple of times, and yes, he was still watching, sitting on the sidewalk forlornly. Finally, some other woman patted him.

Everyone asks me why I don't have a dog, and it struck me that, in addition to the standard reasons (my building doesn't allow them; D is allergic), I like being able to pat a lot of dogs without guilt. In college, when my childhood dog was living in MA and I was in RI, I felt bad when I patted other dogs.

Comments

Roxanne said…
Kinda makes me think of when people can't commit to a relationship with just one person. They like to "pat" all kinds of people.
verniciousknids said…
Well at least when you are just in a "patting" relationship, you don't have to clean up all the crud ;)
Bearette said…
Roxanne - hee. Fortunately I have committed to a person!

VK - very true ;)
kj said…
bearette, first of all, thanks for your suggestions on a couple of matters. very helpful.

you mentioned waltham. i grew up there. i tend to forget we're both from the same area.

last, some sweet dog is looking for you!
Bearette said…
i actually used to work in waltham.
pats for the sweet dog!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!