So we went to dinner with AT and one of his friends from church, C, tonight. They went on a date before but now they are both pursuing other people. She is from Louisiana and into fashion, so we were sort of expecting Britney Spears, and were pleasantly surprised ;) She was more into drinking than us - she told us about "$2.50 big girls" (17-oz beers) but otherwise didn't seem like a crazy party girl. She has a poodle that she's entrusting to AT in early June. I definitely want to meet it!

We went to the Candle Cafe, which involved two trains for me because I live on the West Side, but it was definitely worth it. I had looked at the menu online and planned on getting either the Paradise Casserole (sweet potatoes, black beans and millet over greens) or the ginger miso-stir fry; but they had specials, which added options. I ended up getting the Indian Plate - potato-cauliflower curry, dal, date-raisin chutney, and slightly sweet cabbage. The description probably doesn't convey the yumminess. It was quite good, especially the chutney.

Afterward we crossed Central Park and went to Columbus Bakery for dessert. Their offerings were somewhat depleted, because it was late at night, but we scored a chocolate chip cookie, a miniature blueberry crumb tart and a slice of carrot cake, and shared. It was really fabulous but if I had eaten any more, my tummy would have hurt. You know, the point beyond mere fullness.

I met a pug on the way home. It was tied up outside a little snack bar. I kept patting it and told it I loved it. It really enjoyed the attention. As I left a guy right inside the snack bar nodded and smiled, and I realized it was his dog. I got embarrassed, figuring he heard me say, "I love you" and "Can I take you home with me?" (The door of the snack bar was open.) D assured me he didn't.

Comments

Ashley Beth said…
I'm curious. Why do you not own a dog? You genuinely love them so much more than so many dog owners I know. Too personal (especially since I've been absent for so very long)?

Also - Even though NYC gives me a really bad clostrophobic feeling every time I visit, you make me want to be there. Thank you for sharing your NYC life with us.
Elsa said…
Candle Cafe sounds very nice (based on their website your description of what you had).

I like pugs - their cute in an odd sort of way :-)
Bearette said…
NM, there are a few reasons. D's allergic to dogs, and I'm a little bit allergic, especially to ones that shed; so we'd both need to get allergy shots. Good allergy shots are hard to find; I had one allergy doctor whose shots made my arm swell. Also, you have to go there once a week and wait half an hour after the shot, to make sure there's no adverse reaction.

Our apartment building sues people who have dogs. Although the dog owners usually win, I'm not sure I want to go through that...and if I lost, parting with the dog would be traumatic in a big way.

I've never owned a dog in the city (I grew up with one in the Massachusetts suburbs) and I'm not sure how I feel about dogs in apartments. It seems like they should have backyards.

So I would like to have a dog, but I also like just patting lots of dogs.
Bearette said…
I'm also not sure I'd be any good at disciplining a dog, because I love them so much. It would probably get away with murder and never be successfully housebroken.
Caro said…
If you had a dog, he would be constantly jealous as he would smell all those other dogs on you. :P
Bearette said…
I know, isn't it true? ;) Now I can pat away without feeling guilty :)
Anonymous said…
Hi, Bearette. I had a wonderful time with you and C and David. Thanks for immortalizing us :)
verniciousknids said…
Is Britney still considered "fashionable" cos I've seen some pretty dodgy photos of her over the last year or so :D
Bearette said…
hehe...i think she's definitely unfashionable right now...and dodgy is the right word ;)
jules said…
I will be checking out a menu online as well! LOL .. a brunch menu!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!