Greetings from northern MA

We had a long day. The Amtrak train arrived early, but a trip wouldn't be a trip without some snafu. The subway supplied it. There was a "disabled car" at the Davis (Tufts University) stop and that messed everything up for several stops. So we were 40 minutes late for my poor mother, who picked us up at Alewife, and I couldn't call her because my cell phone wouldn't work underground.

The chocolate truffle frogs were a big hit...I'll probably upload a photo when I get back to NY. After dinner I went for a walk in the dark. My hometown is actually scarier at night than Manhattan, because it's not so well-lit and all the houses are silent, and occasionally football hoodlums tear by in their cars. Anyway, I sensed some movement as I passed one house, and then I saw TWO BUNNIES on the lawn! They sat stock still, as if that might prevent me from seeing them. Then an evil-looking cat stalked them. It lay on its belly and switched its tail from side to side. I was hoping it wouldn't attack the bunnies. Then each bunny tore off in a different direction - one to the left, one to the right - and their white tails flashed in the night.

Comments

Roxanne said…
We have wild bunnies in our yard...so darn cute! Our cat, that's the hunter, hasn't touched any yet. He DID get one of our squirrelies though (and left it right next to the front door for us).
Mike said…
My parents had a HUGE bunny in their backyard. He had a friend who was a robin. I say it because once while working underneath my car in the driveway, I looked over and there they were, side by side, watching me from 8 feet away. Very cute.
Elsa said…
Welcome back to Massachusetts. I understand what you mean about Manhattan feeling safer - there are so many people out at night that you feel nothing can happen to you. But in a quiet town, there is no one out, so you feel alone.

Enjoy the communion and your visit to MA. And isn't it nice to see all those people with Red Sox caps? I know you probably don't get to see many in NYC. :-)
Bearette said…
Mike - that sounds really cute!

Elsa - I actually see a surprising number of sox caps in nyc.
Anonymous said…
Can I just say how much I love the word "snafu" ?? I realize this is retarded....but dammit. It just had to be said.
Caro said…
All cats are evil. :)
Anonymous said…
It's like Bunnies in the Mist! Why is your blog called "Potatoes in the Mist", anyway?
Bearette said…
Heh - Carolyn, I kind of agree. Maybe just 'cause I'm allergic.

Jorge - it's a throwback to high school. A friend and I used to sing, "Potatoes in the mist, exchanging glances" to the tune of "Strangers in the night".
Anonymous said…
Hmmm...

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!