Cats

Generally, I like dogs better than cats. This may have something to do with the fact that I'm violently allergic to cats. But mainly, I think it's because they're aloof. They take you or leave you. When you say, "Here, cat," they might come over or they might ignore you. What kind of manners are those?

But today I met a cat I liked. I was on my way back from Pilates and this cat adopted me. It came out of a shop full of crumbling flower pots and I said, "Hello, kitty," fully expecting it to ignore me. But it raised its tail like a greeting (I was hunkered down on my heels) and then started to walk around me in slow circles. It rubbed against me and kept walking in circles. I felt honored, like it was marking me as its own.

I also met a cat I liked in Venice. We were eating in the outdoor dining room of our hotel. It was open air, and this cat was wandering around. Finally it decided to join us, and jumped up on a chair at our table. I have a picture of it gazing at a bottle of water.

Another cat was at the Hungarian pastry shop. It jumped up on the table and two girls patted it.

When I was little we had a cat named Mother Cat, and then I was diagnosed with allergies. I remember my dad in his beige jacket walking away with Mother Cat. I think he was bringing her to a new home.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I miss my cat. He lives in Florida with my parents, since M is allergic. He used to follow me to the bus stop and sit in a tree across the street until the bus came. :)
Bearette said…
That's so cozy! :)
Lora said…
I've always been more of a cat person. I guess that I like the aloff nature of cats. You need to get to know them on their terms, but once you do you've got a friend for life.

Dogs can be a little to in your face for me. Generally, my feelings on a dog is more reflective of how well they are handled and taken care of by their owners.
Anonymous said…
Cats are wonderful companions. I still miss Beast, my feline friend from when I was a baby...
Elsa said…
Oh, that's sweet.

I am like you - I like dogs better than cats. I've had 2 dogs before, but never a cat. The cats that I like are the ones that act like dogs - want to be near you and want to sit on your lap, etc.
SK said…
I love them both. Currently I have 2 cats (if Mike brings his then we'll have 4.. oh my!). So many people have bad feelings about cats and think they are so distant but like Lora said, you have to meet them on their terms and then they'll stand by you always.

My Samantha is very needy and wants a lot of attention but she and my male, Harley, are always by my side the minute I start shedding tears for any reason. They sleep beside me just like my dogs would. Sam follows me around the apartment, and even growls when someone knocks on the door. I like cats because they are more particular. Dogs will go to anyone as long as they get petted. Cats require that you earn their trust. I miss by boxer, though. :( Once I get a house I will be adding a dog to my farm.
Bearette said…
It'll be a menagerie ;) I love animals, too. The name Harley is great.
This suzy said…
I miss having a cat. That's one of the many reasons I'm looking forward to my move, since I'm waiting until then to get another cat. :)
Caro said…
I had a cat I absolutely loved. She was almost like another child.

Some cats can be cool. Cool cats - I sound so 70's.
Perplexio said…
My in-laws have a cat that seems to take to me better than he takes to them. We'll be sitting on the couch talking, he'll jump up on the couch walk over their laps to mine and then proceed to lie down on my lap and fall asleep.

They've started referring to him as "traitor." hehehe

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!