Da Vinci Code

Well, we went to see the Da Vinci Code and now I'm really...tired. I don't know what to say about it without spoiling it for people. It's much like The Crying Game: do you know "The Secret"? With The Crying Game, I knew the secret a long time before I saw the movie...and so did the guy in the movie, probably. I mean, he had to have known when he met her, right?

I didn't have any problems with the casting. Paul Bettany (from A Beautiful Mind, also Jennifer Connelly's husband in real life) is a great albino psycho. Audrey Tautou was peaceful, serene and French, as usual; Tom Hanks was, as always, the "good guy". D read somewhere that no matter what kind of character Tom Hanks plays, audiences will like him. He's inherently likable, or something.

The movie was too long. As for the theory behind it, I'll say this: maybe some would say the Catholic explanation is a little too pat; but the alternative theory is a little too crazy. I don't think paintings hold religious secrets, necessarily. Da Vinci could have been bored. He could have thought it was fun to put Jesus and Mary Magdalene in matching colors. You just never know.

When the ticket machine spat out our tickets, it gave us an extra one, at the child's price. So D went downstairs to try to give it to whoever lost it. Then a man offered him $200 for our tickets! D said, "I'd like to, but my wife is upstairs." We had to sit three rows back from the screen...the theater was packed.

Comments

SK said…
$200 bucks? Whoa.. I would have been like - hold on, let me go get (my husband, wife, whatever..). I can wait for $200! :)

I've been meaning to read the book but have never gotten around to it and don't want to watch the movie until I've read the book. So I've done the next best thing. I've convinced my mother that we should listen to the book on tape on the way back to TX. I got it last night. We also got one entitled, 'Saving Grace' I think. Should be interesting. She wanted me to get Dr. Phil's finding your right love or some crap... lol. I told her I didn't want our trip turning into a therapy session.
Bearette said…
Hehe...my MIL is totally into Dr. Phil. I'm not though ;)
Elsa said…
I read the book a couple of weeks after it came out and actually went to talk that Dan Brown was having at the local Borders. Again, this was 2 weeks after the book release, so it was easy to get in, get a seat and get an autograph on the book.

I enjoyed the book as fun thriller. It was fast-paced.

I've heard that the reviews weren't that good for the movie and that the movie was too long - just like you said, but I think I'll see it anyway.

BTW, I agree with you...I don't care for Dr. Phil at all.
Reighnie said…
I read the book and I agree with what Elsa said about the book.

As for myself, I don't get all the controversy. It's just a book. People are making something out of nothing IMHO.

I'd also be the same as lostintx. I would have taken the money. lol

I don't have a stance on Dr. Phil yet. I have some books on the shelf of his but I have yet to really pick them up and read them.
bdogg_mcgee said…
I enjoyed the book as well--I listened to the unabridged version on CD. Books on tape ROCK!

I just told DH about some man offering you $200 for the tix and he was all, "They didn't take the money?"

I can't wait to see it--even if I'm not that thrilled about Tom Hanks being the main character. While I like him, I just don't see him in a role like this. I wish it had gone to someone less well-known....
Bearette said…
Hee...I guess everyone is shocked by that ;) He didn't want to leave me stranded in the theater...he wouldn't have been able to get in without his ticket.

I liked the movie for the most part, except it annoyed me that Robert Langdon got to make all the big discoveries himself...I mean, Sophie was supposed to be the cryptex (sp?) expert. It seemed kind of sexist to me, especially in a movie that's supposedly about the female divine.
Elsa said…
I told Dick about the $200 offer and he said the same thing - "why didn't he take it!?" But I understand what you're saying. That is very sweet of him not wanting to strand you.
verniciousknids said…
I liked "Angels & Demons" better than DVC...I read it first and they are kind of similar.

Tom Hanks is NOT Robert Langdon (I had a rant about this a while back on my blog!)

But it sounds as though DVC is doing much better than MI3 already ;)
Perplexio said…
I'm in no rush to see it. I was underwhelmed by the book and saw the "twist" ending coming long before I got to the big "reveal."

Then again with the Sixth Sense as soon as I heard there was a surprise ending I was able to guess what the surprise was just from the previews (the only of M. Night Shyamalan's movies to actually "surprise" me was Unbreakable), so I've got a bad history with "surprise" or "twist" endings.
Anonymous said…
I got halfway through the book when it first came out. When I worked at the public library yesterday I had three people ask me for it... they were stunned when I told them that there were 150 people on the waiting list!

That always happens when a book-based movie comes out...
Bearette said…
Wow...i guess it even happens when the movie gets bad reviews ;)
Bearette said…
Perplexio - well, I never read the book, but I actually didn't see the twist coming in the movie.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!