Weekend thoughts

This morning I made vegan pancakes for me, TN and D. They were nice and fluffy and tasty. Didn't miss the eggs at all. If you're interested in trying them, just mix 2/3 c whole wheat flour, 1/3 c quick-cooking oats (but not instant), and 1 t baking powder in a bowl; mix 1 mashed banana, 1 t vanilla extract, and 1/2 c soy milk in another bowl; then add the wet ingredients to the dry, and fold in 1/2 c blueberries. (From Table for Two by Joanne Stepaniak.) The cookbook recommended spraying the pan with oil, but then it started to smoke, so I added a capful of canola oil.

Then T and I saw Friends with Money. The movie kind of gave me a bad feeling. The people in it were kind of ambling around pointlessly. They all had these problems they weren't doing anything about. Well, Jennifer Aniston's character was trying to improve her circumstances, but her friend Joan Cusack (the least likeable character) wasn't helping her. It did have a (sort of) happy ending, but I was left feeling like I didn't get it. I think it needed to be fleshed out more, with the issues more squarely addressed and resolved. The thing is, Us Weekly raved about it, saying it was Aniston's best role since Friends. I have to disagree. I liked Friends, but for some reason she doesn't translate to the big screen. Maybe she's best at playing Rachel.

I finished my booky! (The one I'm writing.) Now I'm doing revisions. Eventually I'll show it to my former writing teacher and ask for her advice. She's also an agent, so she has a good eye for revisions.

I taught 2 classes yesterday. I had kind of a 24-hour cold (mostly gone today) and my head was all fuzzy. But a girl came up to me after class and asked where else I taught, and gave me her e-mail so I could tell her when I was teaching. So maybe the fuzziness didn't show.

I'm reading a book called Pug Hill by Alison Pace. It's cute. Apparently in Central Park at East 74th Street, there's a hill where all the pugs (and their owners) congregate. I want to go there sometime. Maybe I'll take pictures :)

Comments

Elsa said…
Congratulations on finishing your book - that is quite an accomplishment! Is it a novel?

I don't think I've even heard of that movie - Friends with Money. I must have missed the commercials for it.

Glad you're feeling better :-)
Lisa said…
Yay on finishing the book! Wow!
Bearette said…
Thanks, Elsa :) It is a novel, though it's a little short right now...I'm going to try and flesh it out during revisions :)

Friends with Money is kind of an indie flick, not too widely publicized. The NY Times did review it (nytimes.com), but they liked it better than I did...

Thanks Lisa! :)
Anonymous said…
Congrats on the book. I will buy a copy for my library when it gets published. :)
Bearette said…
Thanks, Liz! :)
bdogg_mcgee said…
Yay for the book-finishing!

I am SO over Jennifer Aniston. And Tom Cruise.

Those pancakes sound yummy....
Caro said…
Yes, let us know when you get published. Too neat!
verniciousknids said…
What a productive weekend you had - congrats!
Anonymous said…
I agree with the Jennifer Aniston thing. I didn't really like the movie "The Good Girl" and the other ones have been just okay. Although I have to admit I'm dying to see the new one with Vince Vaughn....The Breakup. The previews look awesome.

And by the way...congratulations on finishing your book. :-)
Bearette said…
Thanks, guys. I did hear that The Breakup was kind of re-tooled...last-minute changes and stuff...supposedly a bad sign. But i hope it's good!
SK said…
Congrats B!!!

Am I the only one who like Derailed? Maybe it's because I like Clive Owen too. I thought it was a good movie. Hated the good girl and the others. Wait, there's a movie she did a while back with Edward Burns that I liked, "She's the one." Cameron Diaz was in it too. I thought it was funny.
Bearette said…
Thanks :) I never saw Derailed or She's the one. I'm curious about the second one though. Derailed got such bad reviews, but I would have seen it otherwise.
Lora said…
Congrats on completing your book!
Revision are wg=here the real fun starts, I'm sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!