Gone but not forgotten

Rudolph is still making his presence felt, though we haven't seen him in a while. Let me explain.

A week or two ago, maintenance visited. The fellow looked dismissively behind our stove, explained that he couldn't possibly be coming in through there, and drilled new grate covers in the living room and bedroom. I'd noticed that the covers - sort of metal criss-cross wiry things - no longer came all the way to the floor. But neither D nor I gave it a second thought. Mice = kitchens, no?

So, since the installation of the grate covers, Rudolph has not been seen. But as I entered the kitchen tonight, I thought I heard a scurrying noise. So I quickly flicked on the light, climbed onto a kitchen chair, and peeked behind the stove (even though he didn't come in through there, it WAS his favorite hiding place). I didn't see anything. But my forehead connected with the square computer plug, plugged into the outlet at -- forehead height. At least when you're standing on a chair.

Aargh. And I bruise like nobody's business. I can see myself teaching class this Saturday with a huge bruise unsuccessfully "covered" with makeup. After class, a concerned citizen will ask me about my husband.

Me: No really, I hit a -- computer plug with my head. While I was looking for a mouse behind the stove.

Concerned Citizen: Uh huh. Here...let me call Social Services for you.

Comments

verniciousknids said…
My forehead is having sympathy pains right now...poor bearette :(
Bearette said…
Thanks, VK :) It actually feels ok this morning, though. I may be unbruised!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!