This morning, I figured we should do something fun. To counteract winter. Yes, it's still winter here :(

Let me correct myself - there was no "morning" about it. I woke up at 11. Ever since Daylight Savings Time kicked in, I've been waking up way too late. Before I was waking up at 9:30. I want to rectify this in a way that doesn't involve an alarm clock. Any suggestions?

Anyhow, we went to Le Grainne in lieu of oatmeal. It's a very French cafe I'm sure I've written about before. They bring you French toast, not reliant on tons of eggs for flavor, but rather the quality of the bread; an orange cut in an elegant French way; a sprinkling of almonds; small tasty potatoes, in the mist; and a bowl of chopped fruit garnished with mint. They also bring you mustard in a small glass house. (Don't worry, I didn't put mustard on the French toast. And no one threw stones at the glass house...OUCH! I couldn't resist. ;)

Then I went to the Strand to pick up Angela's Ashes for D. I already read it, and he wants to, after we both read Teacher Man (which knocked our socks off). The guy at the store told me, "It's in a ridiculous location. Irish history. Because it's so historical. And when people put it in Literature, it keeps coming back." I pictured the book tiptoeing across the store. Anyway, it was a beautiful price...$3.95 for a brand-new-looking hardcover. Gotta love the Strand. I also picked up some trashy chick lit for myself, because the last book I finished was A Fine Balance, and although it was really good...it was also violently depressing.

I also met Friendly Louie, being walked by an old woman who really looked like she should have a cigar in her mouth. "He's a lovah," she told me. "Good as gold."

Comments

SK said…
The breakfast sounds delicious! Yes, much better than oatmeal...

What's the latest on the mouse?
Bearette said…
he hasn't been seen again. i think maybe he was running in from the hallway? the trap is untouched. the peanut butter is just waiting...
bdogg_mcgee said…
drooool

Dude, I am SO coming up to visit! I wish I could move to NYC! Everything sounds just so much more interesting up there.
Bearette said…
you should!

for some reason i picture going to this place called Lasagna with d, you and DH if he came along...they have all these varieties of lasagna and personal-sized portions...but we could go anywhere! :)
Lora said…
Your breakfast sounds divine!
Bearette said…
No, no, Rudolph can stay away :)
Elsa said…
Your breakfast sounds wonderful. And sleeping in on a "workday" 'til 11:30 sounds even better!
Anonymous said…
"Before I was waking up at 9:30. I want to rectify this in a way that doesn't involve an alarm clock. Any suggestions?" Have you tried going to bed earlier?
verniciousknids said…
When I want to wake up earlier (what's this "want" business - actually it's "have to"!) I sleep with my curtains open - the light wakes you more gently!

Mmm...French Toast :)
Lisa said…
Get a dog. Then you'll get up! Well, unless you get one like Rowen. She is not a morning dog and has been rather unhappy that I've changed my schedule to get up much earlier
Bearette said…
I just gave in and set the alarm clock, and woke up before it anyway...but a non-morning dog sounds lovely!
Anonymous said…
Sounds like a delicious breakfast. I wish you could have sent me the leftovers... (assuming there were leftovers) ;)
Anonymous said…
To help with getting up early, I offer you my cat Diego. He wakes up no later than 6:30 each morning and proceeds to throw himself against my door until I feed him.
Bearette said…
Liz - no leftovers here ;)

Kitkat - that is way too early! i am improving, though; i got up at 10:30 this morning.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!