A tofu reawakening


Well, we had the most fabulous dinner tonight. And I made it myself :)

On the side, I served up kale sauteed in vegetable broth (Health Valley is my favorite). I cooked some brown basmati rice. The tofu recipe is as follows (from Didi Emmons' Entertaining for a Vegetarian Planet):

Sesame-Crunch Tofu

You'll need 16 oz firm tofu, 2 T tamari, 1 T toasted sesame oil, 1 T peeled and minced fresh ginger, 1 T minced garlic, 1/2 c all-purpose flour (though a 1/4 c would probably do in a pinch), 2 T toasted sesame seeds, and 2 T canola oil. (T = tablespoon.)

Press the tofu (I like to use 2 plates with 2 cookbooks on top) till most of the liquid is gone. Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic and mix well. Add the tofu, turning gently to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.

In a pie pan or wide bowl, combine the flour and sesame seeds and mix well. Drain the tofu pieces in a colander set over a bowl, saving the marinade. (Note: my tofu was very absorbent and no marinade was left over. It was great anyway.)

In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Dredge the tofu cubes in the flour mixture, knocking any excess flour back into the bowl. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the tofu to the skillet. Pan-fry the tofu for about 7 minutes, flipping it over occasionally. Serve the tofu over rice.

YUM!

We're also going to see Billy Joel tonight - D's friend/client L bought us tickets. L is quite the ladykiller, though he is down from 3 to 0 girlfriends. I'm sure he will make a snappy comeback though.

TTYL...

Comments

Elsa said…
Have fun seeing Billy Joel. I can't wait to read all about it!
Anonymous said…
Tell Billy I love him. Loooooooove. Ask him if he remembers me from his March 17th show in DC. Tell him I was the one sitting up near the ceiling. If he doesn't remember, please show him my picture. You can also give him my email address if he asks.

Have fun!
Caro said…
That recipe looks good!

Sorry you bumped your head. Ouch!

Enjoy your concert!
verniciousknids said…
Ahhh Billy :)

Tofu is the best food ever...I often blend fruit with silken tofu - yum!
Bearette said…
Liz - I gave him your message ;) We were sitting up near the ceiling, too!

VK - I'm a huge tofu fan as well!

C & E - thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!