Lucky Number Slevin

I can't sleep, so I'll review a movie I saw this weekend instead. After dining with DG at Blossom (the restaurant that catered the yummy wedding we went to on Friday), we went to see Lucky Number Slevin. A few thoughts:

1) I hadn't seen Josh Hartnett since the regrettable 40 Days and 40 Nights. I think most people in that movie have sunk into oblivion (although I did see Shannyn Sossamon at a restaurant called VP II once. "Who?" you're thinking. She was the female lead from that movie). He is a little too pretty for a noir role, but he was also cheeky, and that helped.

2) It was very derivative...North by Northwest and Pulp Fiction both come to mind. It ultimately had less substance than either, but it was an entertaining ride. It was one of those movies that you come out of and you're surprised at how late it is.

3) It was way too violent. More so than Pulp Fiction, I'd say. Although maybe I'm just more impressionable than I was at 19. I do have a sort of reverse susceptibility to violence. I sat through so many horror movies when I was 13 and barely blinked an eye, but I found myself looking away from the screen for several parts of this movie. Must be all the yoga.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Haven't seen the movie, but I've got the opposite thing with violence going on. I used to not be able to sit through any of it; now I quite like Quentin.

How did you guys like Blossom?
Bearette said…
it was really good. i actually got the same salad and entree (French lentils and root veggies in phyllo dough) as I had at your wedding :)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!