D picked up a funny gift for a friend, and also bought a card depicting Rainer. Here's a picture of the card:
Isn't he perfect?
The store opened in '99, and I believe he was born that year. So he is probably eight. I want him to live forever, so I went to Wikipedia to learn about the life expectancy of cats (14-20 years). Here are some other interesting tidbits:
- The Latin name for the species is Felis catus.
- Some cats sleep 20 hours a day. Rainer may be in this group! The average is 13-14 hours a day.
- Due to their "crepuscular" nature (whatever that means), cats have oodles of energy in the morning and evening.
- The male cat has spines on his penis! (Ouch.)
- The female cats are superfecund, meaning that they may have more than one "gentleman caller" while they are in heat, and the kittens in a particular litter may have different fathers. I wonder if they have DNA tests, and if the male cats storm off in a rage if the babies are not their own ;)