Reunion!!

So D and I went to Brown for my tenth-year nostalgia fest. There's always this complicated mixture of happiness and sadness...it's fun going back to this place where we had incredible times (separately; we didn't know each other then, he was two years ahead). But you can't *really* go back and there's always a bit of sadness that goes with that.

We decided to stay in Motel 6 in Seekonk and save some major $...the hotels in Providence GOUGE you over Memorial Day weekend, knowing that 10,000,000 people are coming for various reunions AND graduation (this year, the class of '07 graduated and the classes of 2002, 1997, 1992, 1987, 1982, etc. reunited). But next time, we'll probably stay in the dorms. We had to take cabs between Seekonk and Providence constantly (which was still cheaper than staying in a Providence hotel), but...

One cab broke down within sight of the hotel exit. Through pedal-pumping, coasting downhill and sheer willpower, the driver got us there.

Another cabbie claimed to know how to get to the motel, but he didn't actually know the directions OR how to speak English. D kept suggesting that he get on his CB radio and get the 411, but he just said, "Radio Shack? Oh yes." This was at 1 in the morning, after Campus Dance. I wore the red dress, by the way. It seemed to go over well.

Cabs aside, we saw a lot of cool people. One of my friends is a librarian now and told me about librarything.com and the book Julia and Julia. It sounds interesting (a woman spends 365 days cooking Julia Child's recipes), but I think the lobster vivisection part would be too much for me. A guy who was always a character was wearing a silver-cravat type thing (he was sporting leather pants at our last reunion). A few people are married who weren't before and a few people have kids who didn't before. One girl was complaining that no one was single, and when I told D, he said, "Yes, most of them are double."

I thought that was cute.

Comments

Caro said…
Your hubby is funny!
Bearette said…
He's one of those incurable punsters ;) My dad was the same way. He called our band conductor, Mr. Parsons, Mr. Parsnips instead :)
Lisa said…
Did you get to meet the author?
Bearette said…
No...I actually went to the '87 section, where my brother and his wife were (she graduated in '87). She promised she'd look out for the author (on the chance she'd be wearing a nametag, b/c my SIL didn't know her). But...I guess it wasn't meant to be.
This suzy said…
I'm glad the trip went mostly well! Have you considered renting a car instead of taking cabs? That way you can still stay in the cheaper towns, but not have to deal with cabs.
Bearette said…
That's true. I'm a little scared of D's driving though ;) So probably we'll stay in the dorms next time (his reunion is in three years).
Anonymous said…
Hello! It's "Lady Peter", the librarian! It was great to see you and D. What a crazy weekend, huh? I'm with you on the bittersweetness. I was always pleased to run into T, because I knew I'd be seeing her again in a few days, not a few years!

Come see my librarything catalog at http://www.librarything.com/profile.php?view=ladypeter.
Bearette said…
Hi LP! I will check it out :)
Bearette said…
Lady Pete - that is really cool! I do a similar thing with allconsuming.net, but it just records the books you read; it doesn't have the blogging/comments feature. Very nice.
Anonymous said…
Thanks! I'm totally obsessed with it...

About your comment re D's reading, why do all guys do that?? My friend's boyfriend spend like 6 years reading this Civil War history. He didn't acutally enjoy it, but he'd never "waste" his time on anything fun!

I like our way better...

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!