It's funny how a touch of henna can make my day better. (Side note: my mom told me she used to do a "henna rinse" to make her hair reddish. "Rinse" is a euphemism; you are actually creating a vaguely gross-looking paste to spread on your hair and leave on for a couple of hours.) However, it works magic. If I go too long between applications, I start to feel like a grey-streaked beast and my self-esteem plummets. After I've put it on...ta-dah!...my hair is dark brown ALL THE WAY TO THE ROOTS and I no longer feel like a grandmother. (Not that there is anything wrong with grandmothers, I'd just rather not feel like one when I'm 31 and don't even have any children.)

D and I hit the Strand tonight, where I got a bunch of books (all half-price), including Posh by Lucy Jackson, The Yummy Mummy by Polly Williams (complete with a preening author photo that proclaims, "I am a yummy mummy!" but I just thought, "Good for her!"), and Ask Again Later by Jill A. Davis, who used to write for Letterman.

As we passed a certain Starbucks in our cab, I saw this guy who is always there. "Maybe he has a passion for coffee," D suggested. He usually sits near the front window, sometimes coming out to stand on the sidewalk. He always wears a striped sweater and a sad look. I wonder what his story is; I'm sure he has one.

Comments

I'm with you on ridding of the gray stragglers that like to hang around. Once they are gone I'm a new woman, energized and walking with a little pep in my step.
I never knew of henna.
Bearette said…
It's pretty cool; no ammonia and all-natural. It's cheap, too (about $7 a box!)
Roxanne said…
Is henna only for dark hair? I'm in dire need of a cover-up for the grays.
Bearette said…
Rox - that's a good question (I'm told that's what teachers say when they don't know the answer ;) I get my henna at Whole Body (next door to Whole Foods), and they seem to just have brown and red shades.

However, I just did an Internet search and found a site with these colors:

blonde
strawberry blonde
marigold blonde

http://rainbowresearch.com/html/henna.htm

I think since henna is reddish, a little bit of red is often going to creep in.
Roxanne said…
Cool. I think I might try to find some for my next coloring. Thanks for the link. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!