A tale of three books

I got three books out of the library recently, and couldn't decide which one to start, so I dived into all three. My thoughts so far:

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I'm sure everyone has heard of this already, but for those who haven't, it's the nonfiction account of a writer who, in the wake of her divorce, decides to hit Italy, India and Indonesia and record her thoughts. I'm near the end of the Italy section and really enjoying it. I thought it might have a New-Agey or possibly holier-than-thou vibe, but it has the chatty intimacy of a good women's magazine article. (This is not putting it down at all...I like the informal voice.) I am shocked by her weight gain in Italy...23 lbs in 4 months! (It must be said I put on the freshman fifteen in college...in the first month.) But that was before I discovered yoga, with all its mindfulness (which really does prevent binges). I guess she is just a woman of extremes. A fun read, though. I recommend it.

Certainty by Madeleine Thien. This one had the Amazon editors oohing and aahing, so I decided to check it out. The writing is beautiful. Very spare and polished, kind of like you're reading a book-length poem. But the plot is just not grabbing me. So regretfully, I'm setting it aside.

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. This one makes you queasy, but reels you in. I decided not to go into the disturbing plot...but if you're curious, leave a comment and I'll give you the basic premise. It's truly original.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Geek Love! I read that book for a class once. The class was on "freaks" so to speak, and that novel fit in perfectly. Let me know what you think of it when you're finished.
Anonymous said…
I'm on the waiting list for the Gilbert book...
This suzy said…
I'll have to check out Eat Pray Love. It sounds like one I'd really like!
Mz.Elle said…
Ooh the first and last one sound interesting.
Thanks for the review!
Anonymous said…
It was waiting for me at the library today! Whee!
Bearette said…
Yay! I think you will like it.
Bearette said…
Kitkat - sounds like an interesting class!

Suzy - yeah, it's a really good book :)
Amy said…
I got the audio version of Eat Pray Love for my birthday and I have just finished the Italy section and am just beginning the Indian section. I'm really enjoying it so far (and I agree with you about the lack of new age-ness that I expected it to have...much to my delight it is a great story told in a casual conversational manner).
Bearette said…
Amy - isn't it good? I really enjoyed it.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!