Yoga reflections

It's funny...whenever I get a new student, someone who has never taken a yoga class before, their biggest difficulty is always the same.

When I say, "Bend your knees and step your left foot back," I can always see the confusion flickering on their face: "Which one is my left?" Then enlightenment comes. I find it endearing. Actually, it was the hardest part of becoming a yoga teacher...did I tell them to step their right foot back before, or their left? (You're supposed to alternate.) Now it's more or less automatic. I can teach a whole class on autopilot now, making adjustments for ability levels. It's surprisingly easy to suss those out. I can tell within five minutes whether ardha chandrasana and headstand (or even shoulderstand) will or won't be happening.

I really enjoy teaching. Even if I'm not in a great mood when I get there, I like seeing the smiling faces of people who are looking forward to decompressing/getting some exercise/preparing for a marathon (everybody's motivation is different), and my own mood is transformed, cheesy as it sounds. I also like teaching new people. Invariably, if they find one part tough, they're good at another pose.

There was a new woman today who was having trouble with the standing poses, but sprang up into tree pose just like that. She came with a friend, who kept saying, "You are so good with her! The first time I took yoga, the teacher? Not so good" and "She is so lucky to have you." Sometimes she coached her friend in another language, and I heard her tell her "aspira" (breathe).

The friend, who knew more English, kept calling me "honey" and promising they'd be back next week. I guess I'll never be scary. I am one of those people whom others call "honey" or "sweetie" right away.

Comments

Caro said…
You sound like one of those people everyone automatically likes.

That's a gift.
Bearette said…
Thanks! The librarian doesn't, of course :(
Roxanne said…
It sounds like the librarian doesn't like anybody so I wouldn't take it personally.

You're certainly likable in type. :)
Anonymous said…
I often call women patrons "hon" or "honey" when I'm working. It just comes out automatically. Then I read somewhere that some people find it offensive, especially if the person saying it is younger than them.

Oh, well... no one has seemed offended so far. :)
verniciousknids said…
I went to yoga tonight...tree pose has always been one of my favourites!
Bearette said…
liz - my mom never liked being called that...but oddly enough, she has a friend whose nickname is honey!

vk - me too!
This suzy said…
As a yoga instructor, would you ever really want to be scary? lol
Bearette said…
suzy - good point!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!