Houseguests

We have houseguests from Saturday till Monday. Here is one of them:

They are not technically houseguests, since they are staying at D's parents' apartment (his parents are in Aruba), but close enough. N (pictured above) belongs to D's high school friend A, who is blind, and his wife, B.

A is in the civil service and multilingual. Both he and his wife are learning Thai in preparation for his next post. They want us to visit them there, but I balked at the 23-hour flight. Ugh. If only one could teleport...

After dinner (we went to the Dish, where the owner surprised us with a free slice of chocolate cake), we watched The Station Agent, another Netflix movie. I think I liked it better than anyone. B set the scenes for her husband, explaining what was going on when the dialogue didn't capture it. She would murmur, "Morning. He is on the sofa." Sometimes she would speak in Spanish; she is from Colombia, where they recently visited.

The movie is about a dwarf who moves to Newfoundland, New Jersey after coming into an inheritance, and how he connects with an artist (Patricia Clarkson, from Pieces of April) and a hot dog vendor (Bobby Cannavale, who used to be on SATC and is always fun). I found Michelle Williams horribly annoying...why would you shriek if you saw a dwarf? Otherwise, a good movie.

Comments

Katie said…
I'll have to check the movie out, it definitely sounds interesting.

23 hour flight! Aye carumba! I'd probably balk too.

~Belle
verniciousknids said…
Thailand is so worth the pain it takes to get there...and did I mention that massages are practically free...you must go!
Bearette said…
They mentioned you get a massage at the hairdresser! Hmmm...Also, we could break up the flight, stopping in San Fran, Tokyo, etc. :) We will probably end up going.
Bearette said…
Belle - it was interesting, especially if you like indies.
Anonymous said…
What a sweet puppy.
Bearette said…
he was very sweet, though he's actually 7. he likes to have his ears rubbed :)
bdogg_mcgee said…
Sweet doggie!

I, too, balk at the 23-hour flight. I've already mentioned to several people how necessary a teleporter is. We should totally work on that. :)
This suzy said…
I say go to Thailand! At least on the really long flights you can usually watch movies and that helps. :)
Roxanne said…
When I went to Australia it was an 18 hour flight + a 4 hour drive. On the way I was so anxious that I barely slept,but the ride home I slept about 99% of the way. Hopefully if you go you can get some shut-eye. That is one looooong trip!

If you had a long enough time in SF, I would highly recommend making the effort to go to Chinatown. One of my fave things to do whenever we went. And you can't go wrong with the food. One time in high school we saw a dead pig hanging out on the street (ewww!).
Bearette said…
rox - i like sf a lot, but have never been to chinatown. i'll have to keep it in mind!
Anonymous said…
What are A & B going to do with D when in Thailand? Is he a seeing-eye dog and therefore able to go and return without quarantine?
Also, we just got back from New Zealand and it was totally worth the insane flight. I'm sure Thailand is too. Maybe there's someway you can yoga-pose your way through it.
T
Bearette said…
he is. he can go to restaurants and everything!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!