Adventures in swimming

So the Crunch pool reopened today (or a couple days before)...yay! I had missed its bathwater warmth. It took a little vacation over the holidays, and then it was extended. But now it is back in use.

I tried blowing bubbles in the pool today while I swam, and though I didn't submerge my face entirely, I did dip my head and blow bubbles on the exhale. Progress. Of course, my mouth was stinging from all the chlorine that seeped in. But I enjoyed it anyway. After swimming, I relaxed in the hot tub, which felt really good, though I missed the friendly, gold-chain gay man and middle-aged photojournalist who are my usual hot tub companions. I guess they only go during the week.

We went to Candela with DG last night. I liked my salad special, which was arugula with orange vinaigrette, roasted beets (nestled at the bottom), and crispy vegetarian spring rolls, which I shared with the Others. (My friend Carpe and I always spell "others" with a capital O.)

The real highlight of the evening, though, was hot chocolate afterward. We went to Michel Cluizel, which you have to go through a loud, throbbing tapas bar to enter. I might have enjoyed that kind of thing in college, but it seemed like it was trying too hard and self-consciously trendy. The chocolate place, however, is perfect (except for fluorescent interrogation lights in their chocolate cases). The cocoa is liquid pleasure.

Comments

Poppy said…
I forget what it was called, although I think I blogged about it once, but did you ever have the Starbucks cup of pure chocolate they had for a bit of time? They just melted chocolate and served it as a drink. I'm curious if that's similar to your hot chocolate experience.
Bearette said…
Yes...drinking chocolate! D loved it, and was sad when they discontinued it. I never tried it, but I bet it was good.
Bearette said…
I think this one might have been mixed with milk or cream, and not quite as sweet as milk chocolate, though not as bitter as dark.
Amy said…
When I lived in Florida I used to think it was so cool that we could swim in January, but I realized after being there for several years that I never actually did it. It is just so ingrained in me as being a summertime thing. Even out here, as I can often hear people getting in the pool of our apt. complex (and it's like 40 degrees out), I just can't do it until at least spring.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!