So I got back from writing class tonight. I got an email from Bdogg, saying she's enjoying Twilight, which is cool. Another recommendation along those lines: Vamped by David Sosnowski. The hook: "A single male vampire looking for more than a one-night stand." Yes! And it got good reviews from all the heavy hitters: New York Times, People, etc. I love a good vampire novel, though I can't get into Anne Rice. She doesn't seem creative somehow. I wonder if I was a vampire in a past life. I was definitely a puppy in one; my friend TW agrees.

Anyway, I got a little disheartened in writing class as I realized I need to redo my structure. In a big way. I have some good scenes, and an interesting situation (I think), but I need a focus. In a way, I guess there are too many situations and scenes. I have to figure out which one is the most important, and I need a "crisis." The problem is, there are about four, but one needs to stand out as the low point of the story. So I have to think about this.

The good news - we might continue to meet and discuss our novels, after the workshop ends. I really hope we do. There were only 4 people in class tonight, but they all seemed amenable to it. One of them has actually continued to see people from her food writing class and they comment on each other's work. I actually don't mind the class attrition (5 people have dropped out). It's nice to have a cozy group, and this way we have plenty of time to discuss each other's writing.

I'm currently reading Turning Thirty by Mike Gayle. I like it. He has that dry British humor. He hasn't really made a name for himself in the U.S., which is too bad. I admit I have a wish list at amazon.co.uk, for all the good chick lit that comes out over there first.

Comments

Geez, I need to get Mrs. Z into blogging. I have no idea what books you're talking about, but I'm sure she would. That's right up her alley.
bdogg_mcgee said…
I'm glad you're enjoying your writing class, and that you'll continue to have feedback after it ends.

:)
Bearette said…
Thanks B :)

ZS - she sounds like a girl after my own heart ;)
Anonymous said…
You're pink!
Oh my! I've been gone WAY too long. Last time I looked (through no fault of your site, rather my own ridiculous schedule) only your ipod was pink.
Well I love the bold chicklitesque decision. Also THRILLED to hear your first teaching class is approaching.
Break a metaphorical leg!
Bearette said…
Thanks! I will metaphorically do that ;)
Lisa said…
UK Amazon---what a great idea! British chick lit is so much better than American. Why didn't I ever think of that?

I'm not much into vamp books---even though I'm a Buffy fan---but I may have to try "Vamped." If it comes to my library, that is.

Sorry to hear about the writing problems. That can be so frustrating!
Bearette said…
Thanks Lisa. Fortunately the 8-part structure seems to have helped, though I'm sure I'll have to tweak it some more.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!