I just did this eight-part structure assignment for my novel and I feel 100% better. I don't know why I'm so allergic to structure. In fact, I chose Brown for college largely because it had no core requirements. But sometimes it's not a good idea to have complete freedom. In a novel, for example. Because otherwise it would wander all over the place. I'm going to have to do a lot of rewriting. But that's ok. Because you shouldn't see a first draft as a monolith. (Sometimes I do.)

For dinner we had penne with kale and white beans. I didn't take a picture, because it actually looked pretty similar to the penne with spinach and chickpeas. It's easy enough. First, you boil half a pound of penne. Meanwhile, you put 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a big skillet. Saute 6 cloves of garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes in the oil for 2 minutes, over medium-high heat.

Then add a pound and a half of kale (leaves ripped from the stems), 1/3 cup of vegetable stock, and cover the pan. You cook it for 7 minutes, until the kale is nice and tender. Then you add a can of drained cannellini beans and 1/2 teaspooon salt and keep it all warm over low heat until the pasta is ready. Drain the pasta and add it to the kale mixture, and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over all.

I also figured out, pretty much, what songs I'm going to use for my first yoga class. I realized the key is to pick songs I like, but not my very favorites (too distracting). The songs also need to be mid-tempo without too much percussion. I'll also mix in some tracks from yoga CDs.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'll have to try that recipe-- kale is so good. I went to one of my favorite vegetarian places on Monday night and had a kale, burdock, & chick pea dish that has a light ginger sauce over it. Mmmmm....

I do start to feel kind of horsey though, with all the chewing. ;-)

In other news, I am loving A Suitable Boy.
Lisa said…
That does sound yummy. And perfect for this chilly weather. Right now, I'm all about the pasta, soups, chili---anything hearty and warm.

I'm very curious about your structure assignment because I have a lot of the same problems that you described in your earlier post---an overall idea and lots of scenes---but then things seem to wander off.

And when are you going to share your novel with the rest of us?!
Bearette said…
Liz - I'm so glad you like it! He seems to have stopped writing, though, which is a bummer.

Lisa - Thanks for wanting to see it ;) Right now it's not really ready for human consumption. I show it to my writing class so they can tell me what kind of surgery to perform. My husband hasn't even seen it. But if you want to see one of my short stories, which are more polished at this point, let me know and I'll email one to you.

Here's the 8-part structure:

1. The set-up. This section introduces the main character and what she wants. There's an outer need (what the heroine thinks she wants) and an inner need (what the heroine really wants).

2. The love interest. The heroine meets the guy who is going to make her suffer for the rest of the book (in my teacher's words). Bear in mind this is a chick lit format ;) What's wrong with the relationship, and why can't they take the next step?

3. The stakes. Stuff happens, making the situation more exciting.

4. She rises to the occasion. She seems to be achieving her outer need.

5. Things start to go wrong.

6. The crisis. Everything falls apart. The worst happens. It needs to be the "right" crisis, i.e., it needs to be an event that helps the heroine learn something about herself.

7. She takes a risk. Your heroine does something extreme, acts totally unlike herself, goes beyond the call of duty, does "the right thing", finally tells the truth. She is facing down her demons.

8. The resolution. Our main character has changed - or, in a more Chekhovian ending, she just learns to accept the highly imperfect way she is. Or perhaps a mixture of both. In any case, she either ends up with the guy or she doesn't.

Interesting, huh? Most of the wording is my teacher's (so I don't come off as a plagiarist ;)
Lisa said…
Interesting.

And I'd love to read your short stories. My e-mail is lisa@wanderingpen.com.
Caro said…
Ah ha. That's why the men in romance novels can be so annoying! They're supposed to be! Now if I could only figure out the ones in real life.

I love your recipes. Would you like to move to CA and be my personal chef?

Interesting word verification. fgxme
Bearette said…
Hehe...I'll probably be NY-based for the time being...maybe I can mail you some cooking ;)
Caro said…
Hey, you could pack it on dry ice!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!