The puppy heist

Ladies and gentlemen, I am a puppy thief. But before you judge me, hear my story.

I was at writing class tonight and it was going swimmingly. I think my 8-part structure represented a massive step forward. I know where the story's going now, people are identifying with my narrator, and she's more self-aware. Groovy.

The writing class is in an office that is part of a suite of offices. It's a little, shall we say, unconventional. They sell Reese's peanut butter cups at the front desk. Anyway, a bunch of people were there tonight, having a party of some kind in one of the rooms. Someone dropped off a balloon animal at our writing class. Someone else invited us to attend the party. So we snagged some food (grapes in my case) during our break.

In the office across from ours, there was a tiny, beautiful white puppy. Possibly a Maltese. The puppy was in a playpen with a "wee-wee pad" (that's what KR called it. She speculated that they don't walk the puppy). Anyway, the puppy was crying, and pulling on our heartstrings. So I "borrowed" it and took it to our office. KR and I patted it and it wiggled around, full of happiness. I returned the puppy to the playpen.

Later in the class, I decided I wanted a little more time with the puppy, so I borrowed it again. It was getting used to me now and seemed to be having a bona fide good time. Then I heard a woman saying, "Where's the dog?" so I brought it back across the hall. The woman said, "I think it's inappropriate that you came into my room and took the dog," so I apologized. I thought that was that.

A few minutes later, she strolled into our classroom/office and went on about how INAPPROPRIATE and RUDE it was. I apologized but she still seemed bitter and angry. When she was gone, the other girls made light of it, saying, "How dare you show affection to my dog" and "Happy holidays!" In the elevator, the girls said, "You've gotta socialize your dog," and "You think they'd be nicer, with all the booze flowing." SL said, "Was that her room?" since it seemed to be an office. KR said, "I didn't see a bed."

I feel bad that the woman was upset. But I don't regret the time with the dog, and I think the dog enjoyed it as well. What do you think? Venal or venial?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I could see why someone would be upset at suddenly finding their puppy missing; however, there's no need to be rude about getting it back, especially when you were just playing with it and returned it AND apologized.

This lady probably had a little too much to drink, and the recipe for drama is "just add booze." People sometimes get extra upset. Don't you worry.
Lish said…
I think she overreacted. Don't sweat it.
Lish
Anonymous said…
I ditto kitkat. I would be horrified to see my puppy missing, but then deighted to see it turn up at the hands of a benevolent babysitter across the hall.
Bearette said…
Hehe :) Thanks guys! I think the dog definitely had a good time. And it stopped crying once it saw me.
Anonymous said…
She was a bitch, probably undeserving of such a sweet puppy. It must have been obvious that you didn't have any evil intentions. Jeez!
Bearette said…
Hehe ;) Thank you! She did manage to fill me with guilt.
Lisa said…
I probably would have completely freaked if Rowen went missing, but one reprimand was enough. And if she didn't want people to play with her dog or enter her office, she should have kept her door shut (I'm assuming ya'll didn't open a closed door to find the puppy).
Anonymous said…
You should have left a stuffed-animal puppy with identical markings, so that she did not notice any change.

--Lobo
Ashley Beth said…
I was expecting the end of the story to read, "and now I have a cute white puppy!" The lady would've hurt my feelings, too.

This is beside the point, but who takes their dog to work? I'd be straight pissed if someone in my office set up a playpen with a crying puppy and urine soaked newspaper.

I think you're a puppy hero.
Bearette said…
Lisa - the door was open the first time, closed the second (hanging head).

Lobo - that's a great idea! ;) Of course I'll never do it again, after all the guilt.

Thanks New Mezger! That will be my new nickname ;)
Caro said…
Sounds like she was a witch to me.
Bearette said…
Thanks C :) She had such a nice dog, though.
Anonymous said…
she probably took the puppy home and roasted it for dinner....the evil turd that she is!
Bearette said…
Anonymous - I am still laughing at that one ;)
I think she has issues. My puppy's so cute, I can't blame someone playing with her.

Yeah, don't let it get to you. She's just a !@#$%^&.
Caro said…
Maybe it was "take your bitch to work" day. I'm not referring to the dog.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!