The New Yorkers

I'm reading a book called The New Yorkers by Cathleen Schine. I'm really enjoying it, despite the slow pace. It has a lot of fun observations. For example: "She was easy company, possibly because she was somewhat inattentive." That startled me - would you enjoy somebody's company more if s/he wasn't paying that close attention to you? And then I realized: maybe. We have probably all been in situations where we felt scrutinized, and inattention might be more relaxing.

There are two dogs in the story: Howdy and Beatrice. There are also little sketches of dogs scattered throughout the text, which I like. Part of the novel is set during the 2003 blackout in New York, which brought up my own memories of the day. I was actually sunning in Central Park, decided to walk home, and then I noticed that none of the street lights were working. As it turned out, our apartment is on a different grid from the rest of the city, so we didn't lose our electricity at home. But it was pretty outside, with all these bars putting candles on their tables.

Comments

This suzy said…
I remember feeling bad for all the people who lived way up in a tall building that day. lol
Bearette said…
I know, huh?
Elsa said…
You were fortunate not to have lost power.

Now, I wonder if there was a surge in births 9 months later!!! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!