I was at Barnes & Noble tonight and came across evidence of a dastardly crime! I was in the crafts section, thumbing through books. There was a table covered with bargain books, and I couldn't help but notice that most of them were marked down for a reason. Isn't that always the way?

So I moved past the bargain table and perused the regular shelves. I took down the Yarn Girls' new book of knitting patterns. I've looked at it before, and came across the illustration for a cabled pocketbook that I think is particularly cute. But then something struck me as strange. There was the picture of the pocketbook, but no pattern. Someone had torn out pages 139 to 144. And there were the stubs of ripped-out pages to prove it (as well as the jump in page numbers).

So the moral of this story is: always look through a knitting book in its entirety before you buy it. Or get it from Amazon.

Comments

Reighnie said…
WOW, I never even thought of someone doing that! That's ridiculous. I'd be angry if I bought that book even if it wasn't a pattern I wanted.
This suzy said…
That's horrible that someone would do that! If you can't afford the book, why not just check it out from the library? Or even just make photocopies of the pages you want? That's just sad.
Bearette said…
ZM & Suzy - isn't it awful? And common, apparently. A friend of mine just emailed and told me that her coworker bought a knitting book, then found that many of the patterns were ripped out. She went to B & N to return it, and they gave her a hard time...they thought she did it.
Elsa said…
That's awful!!! Imagine if you had purchased the book...and found out after.

On a similar note, a couple of years ago, I bought Shutter Island from a used bookseller on Amazon. I was reading it, got to the middle and realized that 6 pages were missing! And these pages were crucial to this mystery. It wasn't the booksellers fault - probably bought a whole bunch of used books for resale and didn't notice - who goes through every page. Anyhow, I was able to read those pages on Amazon.com by using the "Search Inside the Book" feature. I "searched" a few of the words from the page before the missing page, and was able to come up with that particular page (the page that was not missing) and then I just read the pages after that one.
Roxanne said…
The nerve of some people! That would really tick me off to buy a book only to later find out parts were missing. Preposterous!!
Bearette said…
And they only had 2 copies. Hopefully the other one is intact...
Anonymous said…
How rude is that? I would be afraid of people doing that to cookbooks too.
Caro said…
People suck.

I like your pink scarf.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!