Last night I had dinner with A and E. Both of them are teachers, and the strain of a new year was showing. I hope it gets easier for them.

I liked the restaurant a lot. I got there a few minutes early so I busied myself by reading the review outside. It explained that everything -- the pale orange of the walls, the "banal" music -- was designed to soothe. There is even a box inside with a fortune for every diner. "Fortune, no cookie," the review explained. Mine said something like, "Life can only give you what you are willing to put into it." A's fortune was more convoluted, suggesting that "by being in the moment, your personality" will transform something. Neither of us could follow it.

It was a bit of a sketchy neighborhood. Some guy offered to "show me something" and then said "You don't even have to get on," pointing to his skateboard. Then someone asked us for money, heavily slurring his words. A said, "There are a lot of people in transition," and I was thinking how politically correct that was, when he added, "That was a bit of a euphemism; I'm not sure where they're going."

In other news, I am loving the fall weather, which is here at last. It's tailor-made for biking. Speaking of which, I think I'll head out now...

Comments

This suzy said…
I've never heard such people called being in transition before. LOL
Bearette said…
Me neither :)
Anonymous said…
I like the euphemism.

This weather kicks ass, doesn't it? I've been too lazy to try riding my bike or walking to work on Thursdays when I work close to home, but one day I'll try it.

I'm glad I'm not the only teacher stressed out right now. Halfway through the term, I think we just sort of give up and relax a little.
Bearette said…
Kitkat - you're definitely not alone :) And I think you'd like biking to work, also. Especially since you wouldn't have to use a Kryptonite chain like ppl do here ;)
Caro said…
The weather just got nice here too.
Roxanne said…
When I was growing up we had a mom and pop grocery right next to the train tracks. We, inevitably, had many 'people in transition' as customers. Our word for them was 'transients', but unfortunately the shortened version was 'tramp'.

What? You didn't want to go for a late night ride on a skateboard? ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!