Low tech, or: shower problems, Chapter IV

A while ago, Leah wrote a blog entry about high/low tech -- how the plethora of BlackBerries, Pocket PCs, SMS messaging and who knows what else have created in the populace a thirst for low-tech -- home cooking, knitting and high-necked Victorian nighties. Well, probably not the nighties.

Also a while ago, probably in March, we started having problems with low pressure in our shower. We never got it fixed. I know, I know. It's just that the maintenance folk in our building like to give you a four-hour window in which you have to stay and wait for them, and it's a pain. Also, they're kind of loud, banging things around and yelling into their walkie-talkies. So we never got around to it.

More recently (maybe yesterday or the day before), D pulled on the shower/bath lever so he could take a shower, and the lever came off in his hand. So now we can only take baths. Historically, when I put shampoo in my hair and rinse it in the bath water, it comes out looking weird -- big and clumpy. I have no patience for hair upkeep so it basically has to look good or at least presentable coming out of the shower. I don't even get it cut -- why pay to get something taken away? :D

So I came upon the idea of filling a stainless-steel bowl with bath water and pouring it (gently) on my head. It was really relaxing, like standing under a waterfall.

Comments

Anonymous said…
and high-necked Victorian nighties. Well, probably not the nighties.

Maybe not nighties, but there does seem to be an awful lot of puffy-sleeved, ruffled, high-buttoned shirts in fashion right now.

I agree that we're yearning for simpler ways. I know I definitely am, even though I never got too much into technology past a simple iPod (which was a gift) and my computer. For every action there's an opposite and equal reaction, so it's only natural to assume that with more technology there will be a counter-culture that wants to get back to an agrarian lifestyle.
Bearette said…
The agrarian lifestyle -- that reminds me of your garden :)
Anonymous said…
Definitely. All I need are some overalls and a corn-cob pipe.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!