Melatonin...it does a body good.

Lora recommended melatonin to me a while back, but I never got it. I wasn't sure where to buy it, having never seen it in stores. Then I was assured that it was available at CVS (though I was sure they would give me weird looks). Then my chiropractor told me that he tried it and it made him groggy the next day. That was when I knew I had to try it. It was obviously powerful. Benadryl doesn't make a dent in my insomnia. Neither does wine.

So I bought melatonin at CVS (predictably, the first few employees said "Mela-what?" but I persevered) and took some at 11 last night. Then I took a walk, went to bed at 11:42, and fell asleep in maybe 15 minutes. (It usually takes 2-3 HOURS.) I woke up at 7:50 feeling rested and refreshed. It was fantastic.

This topic has been somewhat done to death, but I will fill you in anyway. I went to the library yesterday to pick up the 4 books that just arrived for me (Paris Hangover, How Elizabeth Barrett Browning Saved My Life, Charmed Thirds and Once Upon a Day). I got a friendly librarian!! She was wearing a shirt so tight that the material between every button gaped open and I got a clear view of her tummy and bra, and jeans so tight that the zipper was straining and at half-mast, but she was NICE!! Do you know how rare this is at my branch library? Now I have a friend there ;) Anyway, she gushed over Charmed Thirds ("I want this!") and we got talking about the Kaavya Viswanathan scandal, which came up again over dinner at Hangawi.

P said he knows someone "on the inside" and he said that it was actually Alloy Entertainment's fault. They "helped" Kaavya with the book and also, according to P, helped Megan McCafferty as well. So P says it was the doing of an overtired editor who used some paragraphs that had been used before.

This actually makes more sense than Kaavya willfully copying 80 passages from Megan and then denying it, or writing Megan's passages from memory but not remembering where they came from. However, there are 2 big holes:

1) Why would Kaavya take the hit for Alloy's misbehavior?
2) I own 2 of Megan's books and just got the third from the library. None of them cite Alloy Entertainment on the copyright page. If you look at a Cecily von Ziegesar book (does Cecily even exist??), it says: "Copyright Alloy Entertainment 2006" (or whatever year it was published).

I guess some book scandals are more mysterious than others.

Comments

jef said…
She was wearing a shirt so tight that the material between every button gaped open and I got a clear view of her tummy and bra, and jeans so tight that the zipper was straining and at half-mast, but she was NICE!!

Boy, I can picture that one out LOL!
Anonymous said…
Wow, I'm not allowed to wear jeans to work unless we're moving books or furniture... :)
Anonymous said…
Wow, a scantily-clad librarian! ;)
Perplexio said…
I've been following that scandal as well- it sounds like the literary equivalent of Milli Vanilli-- overzealous producer (in this case editor) uses someone else's voice (in this case words) and credits it to someone else. In Milli Vanilli's case it was because the actual singers/musicians were less than photogenic and Rob & Fab were quite camera friendly (by comparison). In Kavya's case it was because of her age and the backstory behind her book being published made for really good PR.

In both cases it seems misplaced trust was/is a common factor. Given Kavya's age, I find it entirely possible that she could be "misled" into plagiarism by an overzealous editor and/or publisher. In Milli Vanilli's case, their producer was a seasoned vet. They were models with no idea of how the music indstry worked and were schmoozed into doing something that they probably would not normally have done.
Caro said…
Yay for melatonin!
Roxanne said…
Imagine if she HAD tried to move books or furniture in that outfit. Buttons would be flying every which way. Hey, but at least she was NICE!

I didn't realize that melatonin could have that effect. I'll have to remember that one. Maybe my kids might like the taste of it? Kidding, KIDDING (I think) ;)
Bearette said…
hehe...it does give you weird dreams though. 2 nights ago i dreamed i was watching a movie with elaine and george (from seinfeld); last night i dreamed i had committed 2 crimes and was on the run from the police.
verniciousknids said…
Do you think having insomnia is a prerequisite for becoming a blogger?!

Though I'm glad you've found something that works for you!

Oh, wv is "whmsi"...it makes me whimsical :D
Bearette said…
vk - welcome back! i actually started my blog b/c of insomnia...
verniciousknids said…
I think a lot of us may have started out that way!
Lora said…
I'm glad to hear that you gave melatonin a try. It's always sorked well for me. It has a bit of a window though. You don't want to go over an hour from when you take it to when you lie down because then it doesn't work as well. Enjoy your zzzzz's

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!