We went to a wedding on the Jersey shore today. I drove in Manhattan and tackled the Lincoln Tunnel for the first time. It was freakishly narrow, but I survived. Then we sat in traffic on the Garden State Parkway (so called because it's a parking lot - get it?) We were 15 minutes late for the wedding, but it didn't matter because the bride didn't walk down the aisle till 11:22.

There was a Wizard of Oz theme at the tables. We got The Yellow Brick Road. My college roommate's husband was there, though my roommate didn't come. The food was interesting - a brunch buffet. So the offerings included French toast and herbed red potatoes, which E loved. It was his first wedding and he handled it like a champion. At one point, I noticed he was practically falling off my lap with fatigue, so I bundled him into the stroller and we walked along the beach behind the building. The sun beat down on us and the boardwalk thumped beneath the wheels, but E didn't seem to notice. He was conked out for a solid hour.

I liked the adventure and change in routine of going to the wedding. Next weekend I am going to Providence for the traditional post-weaning trip. And after that, my mother is coming.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The Wizard of Oz is a cute theme :) I hope the bride wasn't wearing ruby slippers, though. That might have been weird.

Speaking of weird, is it weird that I'm putting more effort into planning my 10-year anniversary party than I did for my wedding? I'm thinking of doing a movie theme (as in, lots of movies).
Bearette said…
Not weird at all. You should have fun with it.
judy in ky said…
You and E each experienced a first... his first wedding and your first drive through Lincoln tunnel. It sounds like you both handled it like champions!
By the way, which stroller did you take with you?
Bearette said…
We took the Peg Perego. That one is definitely his favorite - it has a detachable harness so he can lean forward and "drive."
Anonymous said…
Two cities I have visited where I would never, ever want to drive: Manhattan and Rome.

well done!
Bearette said…
I would add China to that list - I'm reading a memoir where a woman's Chinese husband explains that you take a left turn or right turn whenever you feel like it, and drive on any side of the road. "Whichever side open, whichever side drive."

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!