So I'm at my in-laws' in the Poconos. I used to not be nuts about the place, and this time I'm enjoying it. I think when I came here in my 20s, I was looking for excitement. But now I'm just looking for relaxation. And the Poconos has that...in spades. D and I rented a Mazda and I enjoyed driving it on the rolling hills (until a Sunday driver got in front of us). Earlier in the day we lounged by the pool while D's parents looked after E. They took him in the sandbox, and then we all went out for Chinese food. And I was able to finish a book.

Of course, we haven't tried to put him to bed yet. The gruesome truth: he never really had an aversion to the crib. He had an aversion to me leaving the room. We found this out last night when I tried to put him down multiple times, and he screamed every time I left, without stopping. Then the night nanny put him down. He was still awake when she left the room, and was quiet as a mouse. So it looks like it's best for someone else to put him down. The problem? The night nanny's not free and we can't keep her forever. So hopefully he'll get used to me putting him down.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds relaxing. The last time I went to the Poconos was in my early 20s. I remember all the hotels with champagne glass bathtubs. :)

so, how did bedtime go last night? it must feel awful to hear him screaming like that. hearing L cry triggers a physical response that I can't easily ignore.
Anonymous said…
can D put him down?
This suzy said…
I wonder what E would do if you put him down with D or the night nanny there, but they stayed in the room while you left? Some sort of variation of just putting him down and leaving? Just a random thought I had.

I'm glad you had a relaxing time! It's kind of funny how what we look for in a vacation can change as our lives change.
Bearette said…
The night ended up being awful. D was able to put E down initially, but then he woke up later, and whereas the night nanny would have been able to put him back to sleep, we weren't. We ended up driving around in the mountains for an hour at 2 AM. This is kicking my ass.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!