Human nature in the playground

So I brought E to the playground today, which he loves. At some point he noticed two little boys (I found out later that they were both 4) in a kind of hollow in the middle of some playground equipment. He advanced on the hollow and the boys chanted, "No, no baby!" and "Baby can't come in!" I asked them, "Why don't you like babies?" and they just looked at me blankly. E tried to get in again and they chanted some more. Then he laughed his big, hearty, infectious laugh and they said, "Baby's laughing! Baby can come in now." (I swear, it was that easy.) But by then E had lost all interest in them and was playing with a blue Polaris Road Ripper.

I got the name of that toy in hopes of getting one for E. He loved it. It belonged to a little boy whose mother was very nice. She has 4 kids and the toy was a gift for her 9-year-old. He said, "It's lame; it doesn't go." But it makes a nifty noise and her 2-year-old and 1-year-old love it. I asked her how it was having 4 kids and she said (laughing), "I can't handle it half the time." Then she said, "They're all boys." Personally, I am pro-boy. Interestingly, her kids prefer soy milk too!

Comments

This suzy said…
Everybody likes someone who laughs, I guess!
Roxanne said…
I bet his smile and laugh is going to win people, young and old, over his whole life. He's just irresistible. :)
Anonymous said…
It's kind of funny how toddlers want so badly to separate themselves from the babies. I want to roll my eyes and say, "Right, because the babies can't join you for scotch and cigars, right?"
Bearette said…
I remember you blogging about that before, so I had this jolt of recognition. But then at the end, they were begging him to join them - "Baby, come in!" And he ignored them :)
judy in ky said…
E is so cool!
Caro said…
There is one car that does go that is even cooler than the road ripper. I think it was called a Come Back Car if they still make them. Sean kept trashing his though. We went through three!

LOL at Liz's comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!