Introducing Morris

Morris is my new cat friend. He has not replaced Rainer; he is just supplementing him.

(The deal with Rainer is, he lives in Brooklyn, which is a bit of a pain to get to. We have to take a special train to get there; it's too far to walk. And the last two times we tried to go, the train wasn't working. So Fate seems aligned against us.)

Morris lives in Manhattan, at a vitamin/health food store. I saw him once before, munching out back from his silver bowl. I patted him then and he wagged his tail, but he was mostly involved with his food.

Tonight he was in a special box near the front of the store, where he could observe everyone coming and going. I said, "Hi, Morris," and patted him repeatedly. He likes being patted with the grain, not against. When I tried the latter, he looked askance at my hand, so I went back to regular-style patting. His tail thumped up and down against the floor of the box.

I call him Morris because he looks like Morris the Cat from the old commercials. He seems to respond to it, although maybe he just likes being greeted.

While I was patting him, a man who was not all there came in and started making a high-pitched, piercing noise, like an emergency broadcasting device. Most disconcerting of all, he stared at me while he made the sound. I decided the best thing to do was ignore him.

We saw another crazy-looking person on the way home, but she just wanted to know why the Empire State Building was red. I was wondering the same thing.

(The Empire State Building is floodlit different colors, but it usually corresponds with a holiday. Easter is especially cool; it has a striped pastel thing going on.)

Comments

This suzy said…
Gotta love those crazy people!
Poppy said…
It's unfortunate when crazies try to engage you and you must take evasive action. I always feel conflicted, since they're reaching out to me, but if I let them in they're most likely going to become dangerous. siiiiigh.

Hi, Morris!

Too bad about Rainer. Your special train is like my magical doorway -- not always accessible.
Bearette said…
Exactly - it feels safer not to respond.

I like the idea of a magic doorway, though.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!