Food inspiration, please

I have learned something weird. If you are obsessed with chocolate chip cookies for a while, you *will* get sick of them. I have a bag of them sitting totally unmolested in the kitchen cabinet. The same goes for ice cream. I have a nice pint of B&J in the fridge but it just doesn't call out to me the way it once did. (Okay, I had a few spoonfuls yesterday. But I didn't attack it as I would have previously.)

My current thing is dairy: skim milk with my cereal every morning, lowfat yogurt, and CHEESE, glorious cheese...I ate a whole big chunk of Muenster yesterday and the day before. Just by itself. And it was awesome.

But I am need of inspiration. Before I was pregnant, I would eat oatmeal for breakfast, something fairly healthy for lunch and dinner, a couple of pieces of fruit, and a nonfat yogurt. That's it. That was my daily intake.

Now I need to sate G's* ravenous appetite, and I'm not as into sweets as I was. I'm putting together a grocery list and have thought of baby carrots, Cracklin' Oat Bran**, apples, watermelon, Muenster cheese, lowfat yogurt, and I'm not sure what else to get. What do you like to snack on that is at least somewhat healthy (cheese*** counts in my book), preferably nutritious and definitely satisfying? All (vegetarian) ideas are welcome, and thanks in advance!

*I may reveal the baby's planned name later. For now, she (I'm hoping it's a girl!) will be G.
**You'll want this when you're pregnant. Trust me.
***Feta, goat, brie and anything blue are out. And cottage cheese...I believe it's safe, but it's too cold and squishy.

Comments

Amy said…
If I ever had a child (and we're talking years away here...) and it was a girl, my girl name is a G name also. After my grandmother.
Anonymous said…
Hi bearette,

I don't know if you do ovo with your lacto, but if you do, I can tell you I couldn't get enough hardboiled and scramble eggs (free range, of course!) and midwives tell me in our condition it's safe to have 2 per day.

I also love dates (good iron), cashews, almonds, plain Yogurt
fruit smoothies, pineapple, melon, berries, apricots, Pumpkin and sunflower seeds, PB & J sandwiches on Ezekiel bread, Vegetable broth with celery root, leeks, and the typical veggies (you can whip up a huge pot of it and take it around in a thermos - let me know if you want a recipe), mashed potatoes (yum!), Beets (especially in salads).
Hope that's helpful. Now I'm hungry!
Anonymous said…
oh yes! and bean tacos on spelt tortillas - mmmmmm!
Bearette said…
Amy - now I'm curious! I wonder if they are the same name. I might unveil it once I find out if she's a girl.

Tara - thanks! that is very helpful! yes, i would love the typical veggie recipe if you have time.
Amy said…
Bearette - I would be shocked if they were the same name, but that'd be pretty cool too. Mine is real old school.
Amy said…
so I'm not vegetarian but Trader Joe's has this great soup that I love -- it's called Roasted Corn Tortilla Chowder (I believe). Should be veggie-friendly (since it's TJs I don't think they would be otherwise) and it's good as a meal or as an afternoon snack. They also have really tasty meatless meatballs :-)
Bearette said…
Oh, that sounds good. I love corn.
Caro said…
Maybe a salad with ranch dressing and sunflower seeds? Mmmm.

I used to like scrambled eggs with salsa in corn tortillas.
Bearette said…
Sunflower seeds are a good idea. i always forget about those.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!