So I went to Motherhood today (part of Destination Maternity, kind of a little mall filled with maternity clothes). I really enjoyed it. They pampered me a bunch, offering me water and juice for the road (after I made my purchases). Prices were reasonable and oddly enough, I like my maternity clothes better than my regular wardrobe! They seem to fit well and look flattering.

I also saw a possible onesie for E -- light blue, and it said "chick magnet" -- but it was a bit too saucy! We want to keep him innocent :) I bought him some onesies at Old Navy recently. There was a turtle theme, and one of them featured a teddy bear, under the words "unbearably cute."

Probably because I'm reading Easy Labor, I'm preoccupied with the birthing process. One of the central messages of the book is to be flexible, since the unexpected usually happens, but I've noticed people write up birth plans anyway. I guess the idea is not to be rigid and have a number of alternatives in place. I like the idea of:

  • Birthing pools -- not for the actual birth, but for the labor. These are said to be relaxing.
  • Birthing balls -- these are kind of like Pilates balls; you sit on them and "walk" around the room, and this can help the baby descend, as can any sitting or standing pose.
  • Self-hypnosis -- there's a 70% success rate in eliminating pain without medication. How it works: you learn a number of scripts, which your partner/doula reads at the childbirth, and there are cues that send you into a state of deep relaxation. Basically, you program your mind to believe that you are not feeling any pain, and that you are "hypno-anesthetizing" yourself. There were a bunch of testimonials in the book from women who had no real pain with this method, just a little discomfort. You have to do "homework" beforehand, listening to the scripts on CD. The results are supposed to be amazing, so I figure, why not give it a try?
  • A doula -- everyone says it's nice to have someone who is there, exclusively for you, the whole time.
  • An epidural -- as a backup, though if the hypnosis and birthing pool worked, that would be great.

Comments

Mz.Elle said…
I totally reccomend the self-hypnosis. That's what I did with both of mine and it worked WONDERS.
It is a wonderful way to maintain self control and keep yourself in the here and now. The pain doesn't go away by any means BUT it is SO much more managable.
My doctors thought I was SLEEPING but I was just really really focused on my breathing and a tiny spot on the wall,lol. Focusing on one thing(you'll find it when you need too) really helped with the breathing and
contractions..after awhile everybody else just fades away.It's lovely!
Bearette said…
Wow! Thanks. I didn't know if anyone had tried it in the blogosphere!
This suzy said…
I was just going to say that if I were to have a baby, I think the self-hypnosis sounds cool, but ms.l's endorsement is way better than that! lol
Silverstar said…
Self hypnosis for labor? Hm, that's a new one to me, but then again, I'm not pregnant or have ever given birth(knock on wood!).
Since I don't know much about labor and the various ways of dealing with pain, how come some women don't want to use an epidural?
Bearette said…
One concern is that a small amount of the epidural drugs cross the placenta and are absorbed by the baby; that's the one that would bother me, though I'm not ruling out an epidural.

Also, some people don't want the IV (which carries the epidural drugs into the body) placed in their back, and even feel like they're being stabbed in the back, b/c they can't see what the technician is doing. I don't think that would bother me.
Bearette said…
Also, you can lose feeling in your legs, and not be able to walk around without help -- this bothers some people. And it can slow down pushing, making it harder to push, if it's administered too close to "active labor," rather than in the contraction stage.
Anonymous said…
I'm not sure if hypnosis would work on me. Once we saw a comic hypnotist who said it was possible for people in the audience to become hypnotized while he was hypnotizing the volunteers on stage (if we wanted it to happen). For several minutes I was convinced that it was working on me, but my friend said I was just drunk. ;)
Anonymous said…
Hi bearette,

Loved reading your post as I'm engaged in looking for doulas right now. I've chosen to try to find someone who's established in the meditation technique I've been practicing, even though I haven't come accross any specific literature on it being used during childbirth. I think hypnobirth sounds wonderful. As someone with a strong yoga background, you may find someone who's established in prenatal yoga too. Also, if you're planning on going natural, which it sounds like you are, I really recommend Ina May's Guide to Childbook. It's probably my favorite book I've read this year and it gives you lots of information to help you communicate and negotiate with your staff at the hospital. Are you planning on using an OB or midwife?
Anonymous said…
whoops obviously I meant "childbirth" not childbook :-)
Bearette said…
Liz - hee :)

Tara - Cool, let me know who you choose! I'm probably going to go with this NYU doula who my ob recommended...and using my ob for the delivery. I'm not committed to natural -- I'm only going to do it if the pain is bearable. Otherwise, epidural time...Are you doing a home birth?
Anonymous said…
We are actually. We're going with a pair of midwives who delivered a friend's baby at home last year.
I'll let you know how the doula search turns out too!
Caro said…
Now you get the word of advice from the pain wimp, that's me. LOL

If you start to hurt and decide on an epidural, don't wait until you can't stand the pain. Because sometimes it takes another hour for the anesthesiologist to get there. Grrrrrr.

I tried lamaze and it helped to an extent.
Bearette said…
Thanks for the advice :) I realized I will probably get an epidural. Who am I kidding?

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!